Pages

▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Reading & planning

Are you a reader?  I can never have enough books on my To Read list.  Most weeks I read at least 1 or 2 books, with my favorite genre lately being mysteries. But sometimes it's a book completely out of my normal genre that surprises me the most.      


Recently a former coworker had posted on Facebook that her book club was going to be reading Mad Mabel.  Of course I had to look into it, and decided it was something I would enjoy.  And I was right - it was a very interesting read. 

Copied from the Amazon description - "a twisty tale of justice, redemption, and one irrepressible woman who’s not done breaking the rules just yet. "

I've been talking recently about the fact that I do a LOT of thinking about projects when I'm not actually sewing - or reading a good book.  My brain has been spinning away lately with the possibilities around here.  My Monday plan this week included getting a couple of UFOs to the flimsy stage, which I can report has been successful.  Come back tomorrow to see what I accomplished for flimsies.


But my plan also involved doing something with the Christmas-y gingerbread people blocks left over from a long ago Saturday Sampler.  The gingerbread girl block is on the way to becoming a mini quilt.  It's quilted and the binding is attached.  But she needs to be a bit more dressed up - buttons and bows are needed to make her pretty I think.  

I haven't decided yet what to do with the gingerbread boy block or the parts for 3 more that are still in that project box.  So the box has been put away again -  for now, at least until I come up with a plan. 


But of course the planning hasn't stopped for other things - so, what comes next? It was grey and raining AGAIN yesterday morning, which was a good reason to just go downstairs to my sewing room to be surrounded by color.  It was time to put away some things - and choose the next couple of things to focus on. From a basket full of fall kits, these 3 caught my eye first.  I think the little gnome mug rug will be my first choice.  Then I may have to make that hanging towel kit that was a recent purchase from Shabby Fabrics.  


And from a basket of Christmas things, I'm going to do this table topper using a gorgeous holiday batik jelly roll.  Last weekend was Sew a Jelly Roll Day - but I didn't. It's OK to jump into the game a few days late, right?     

5 comments:

  1. It's fun to step out of our normal book choices to find something new. Hope you enjoy your book. Congrats on finding a way to finish at least one of the gingerbread blocks. Enjoy your new projects, you have some fun ones to stitch with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a reader, too - always have a big to-be-read pile! A friend just recommended Mad Mabel to me, so it's on my list now, too. Your new projects look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such good fun to dig into the stash and be inspired! I love the projects you've pulled up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about putting the gingerbread boys into a table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read 3-4 books a month. I read Mad Mabel and really liked it. Sisterschoicequilts.blog is a quilting blog but the first of each month she gives a list of books she has read the previous month. I read a lot of her recommendations. Can’t wait to see what you do with the gingerbread people.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Your comment has been saved and will appear after being approved by the moderator.