Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 13 Status of the Stash

I didn't buy any fabric this week but my stash did increase just a little. That is because I have wonderful friends who helped me celebrate by birthday this week . . . and one of them gave me this gorgeous fat quarter bundle.  It is the Downton Abbey Lady Sybil line. Isn't it pretty? Blues, purples, and creams. I need to find just the perfect project for these 9 fat quarters.

I also won a fat quarter pack of Island Batiks from a blogger's giveaway, but since those haven't arrived yet I'm not adding them into this week's totals.  

There were 3 small finishes this week too: a wall hanging, a table runner, and a self-binding baby blanket. I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to add at least one more quilt to the finish side if I can get the binding done. Not much sewing time this weekend since all day Saturday was spent at a workshop for my job. But I'm hoping to take Tuesday afternoon off to attend the PHD (projects half done) sewing session at The Pin Cushion and spend the afternoon working on some UFO.

In this week: 2.25 yds
In this year: 70.75 yds
Used this week: 5.5 yds
Used this year: 79.5 yds

Status of the Stash: 8.75 yards ahead of my stash!  Yay!  

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Another self-binding baby blanket

My third small finish for the week - another self-binding baby blanket. This one is for a coworker with a baby boy due in a couple of weeks.

If you haven't tried making one of these yet, do consider it. These make such wonderful and quick baby gifts. Whoever came up with this technique is a genius!! There are a ton of tutorials online and you can just search for "self-binding baby blanket".  They take 2 pieces of flannel and about an hour including cutting time.

My back piece is 10" larger than my front piece because it folds around to the front and makes the binding.  I buy 1.25 yards of the back and then cut the square as large as I can. Then I measure that and cut the other piece 10" smaller.

The only thing a little tricky is making sure your corners are stitched at the correct angle. I actually printed off my favorite tutorial and it is in the drawer that holds my flannel stash so I can refer to it each time just to be sure.  I've made a LOT of these over the past few years and it is my "go to" baby gift, along with a hand made burp cloth.  I always have a little stash of coordinating flannels in my stash in girl colors, boy color, and gender neutral colors so that I can whip one of these up anytime I need a quick gift.

Friday, March 27, 2015

A small UFO finish

It's finally DONE!

This 60 degree table runner has been half quilted for about 2 years. I started trying to free motion quilt it myself using a quilting design drawn on Press n Seal and "stuck" onto the top of the runner.  The process works fine, but I was still making a mess of the actual quilting. So I stopped halfway through.

This winter I picked it up one day and started picking out all of those quilting stitches. I threw away the piece of batting and put the muslin backing in the bin to use as a foundation for string blocks.  Last weekend I noticed this black backing section that was left over from a recent quilt and the leftover batting was folded with it. And guess what? It was the perfect size to use with this runner.

I added some very simple quilting to this by just following the lines on the fabric. I found the striped binding in my binding drawer that had been cut and was all ready to go when I originally made the runner. What a relief to finally check off this one from my UFO list.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Saturday Sampler months 1 & 2

Here are the blocks for the first 2 months of Saturday Sampler, except for the applique blocks. I have only 1 of those done yet. But you can really see how small the half size blocks are when they are side by side with the 12.5" version. This is the color scheme - red and aqua, which is something I haven't combined before.

So far, so good.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Interesting quilting designs

Doesn't this quilting design make you think of Egyptian hieroglyphics? And since the wall hanging is made with the Downton Abbey Egyptian line of fabric it just seemed to be perfect.  Wish I could show you the other side but this is the pattern test project and I can't share it just yet.  I really love this one and it is covering my big round coffee table right now instead of hanging on the wall.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Star block challenge

This was my entry to the Block Challenge at  Since star blocks are one of my most favorite blocks to make I just couldn't resist.  The block challenge runs until April 21 and you can enter as many blocks as you like. I just may have to make more of these.

The star center was from a panel that I got from a friend when she downsized her stash this winter. This was an extra but there are about 6 or 8 more so many this is the beginning of a new quilt project down the road. The green and blue were from my scrap bin.  

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Challenged by tiny pieces

My pieced blocks for Saturday Sampler are done and this one was a little challenging.  There are 64 pieces in this little block - Yikes!!  Believe it or not this block is only 6.5" square and there is a 12.5" version too, which was much easier.  My real purpose this year for Saturday Sampler is to work on skills - both applique and small blocks.  

Blocks this small with so many pieces do not want to lie flat.  I pressed most of the seams open and that did help a lot.  I still have the applique block to make but that will have to wait until later in the week.  

I've linked up to Design Wall Monday at so check out what other quilters are working on this week.