Pages

Monday, December 28, 2020

Design Wall Monday - December 28

It's the last Monday in 2020 - hallelujah!  My mother used to say "don't wish your life away", but I think most folks are ready to welcome 2021.


My design wall (floor) is focused on Unity today.  Bonnie Hunter released this pattern as a sew-along mystery earlier in 2020.  Her followers needed this mid-year project to bring some hope and cheer in dark times.  Her original design was in patriotic colors but I had just finished a Quilt of Valor and changed it up - a LOT. 

This one was done in "rounds" and I stopped after Round 2 - thinking I liked it as is and would make it a wall hanging.  But then I kept seeing other people's finished quilts and decided to add Round 3 with all of those tiny 4.5" blocks with 17 pieces in each one.  I'm lucky it didn't become a UFO in the middle of making those blocks. 

And now I dove into adding Round 4 but with my own twist.  My blocks for Round 4 are much quicker to make than those Round 3 blocks.


Bonnie's pattern called for 6.5" Pinwheel Stars with the colors all in the same locations throughout the round.  I changed mine to simple Friendship Stars, and played with colors until I decided to make them all have aqua centers, but alternate pink points and  lime green points.  I think this change in Round 4 will give the eye a bit of a rest after a whole round of tiny pieces.  And I definitely needed to bring the green back into play.  


The pink, green, and aqua pieces are all cut and organized, but I do need to cut more black background pieces to finish these up this week - hopefully.  Then I'll decide if Round 5 will happen or not. 

What is on your design wall today? I'm linking up:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Beth in NH said...

This round is perfect. It settles down round three a bit and you are right about a place for the eyes to rest. Have enjoyed your RSC blocks and quilts and think I am going to try and see if I can do one of two different blocks a month this year. Maybe it will help with some needed inspiration.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The stars are pulling it all together. The larger open spaces on these blocks gives the eye a place to pause and see the beauty of the whole quilt. Great job of color placement.

Nann said...

What a knockout colorway, Sara! Substituting a block makes the quilt more your own.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your version is really beautiful, I love your brigh colors. Pretty round 4, and your organization is neat!

Kate said...

You definitely made the right choice with ditching the HSTs for the corners and alternating the pink and green. Looking good!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice choices! It is so bright and cheerful!