Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2022

A green elephant

 While going through some old block patterns to organize, I came across this one.  I have no idea any more where I got it but I know it was free at the time.  It was online - somewhere.  My apologies to the designer for not being able to give you credit after all these years.  It is very similar to the Stomping Ground pattern that has been all over the Internet in 2022.  Long story short - I just HAD to make one again!!  This is another block that will work great for an RSC project in the future.  It's 10" so I think I'll plan to add 1.5" borders around them.  

When I first found the pattern, I used this block to make a quilt for one of my daughters - many years ago.  I'm guessing it was about 2010 or even earlier.   The bowtie blocks surrounding the elephants were made from a big rainbow charm pack swap I had been in.  Last time I saw it at her house it was well-worn and getting quite faded.  Don't you love it when you know your quilts have been loved to death? 

And I used it again to make a donation quilt in about 2016.

Finding these old photos proves to me that I loved rainbow quilts even before discovering the RSC projects online.  I love cheerful colors. 

What else is going on this week in the RSC world?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Ellie is so cute!! I found this free one here, not sure if it is the same place you found yours but it looks the same I think.
http://milkandhoneyquilts.blogspot.com/2009/03/free-pattern-elephant-baby-quilt-block.html

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a great pattern! The elephant will work great for children quilts, happy stitching!

Nann said...

The elephants with the bowties really caught my eye! I now have a good stack of patterns conducive to RSC.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those elephants are just the cutest thing!

LA Paylor said...

I want to make this... do you have all the cutting dimensions you could email? I love elephants and how they make best friends for life, and care for their babies
Leeanna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Th9se are great elephants! I love the rainbow quilt you made with them. Looks like fun to make more this year!

Tired Teacher said...

I remember seeing the pattern years ago, too. It sure is a cute block!

Preeti said...

If I had owned the elephants surrounded by rainbow bow-ties, it would have been well-worn too. Gosh, it is beautiful and festive and I love it! You may not see it but it has a very Indian festival vibe to it. Like watching the parade/procession from the palace windows.

cityquilter grace said...

adorable pattern and you have made it up so nice in all your projects...

Jenny said...

That's a great elephant block, so nice to see your earlier elephant quilts too. Is the new green block the start of a new rainbow quilt?

Ivani said...

Cute pattern, and pretty quilt, perfect to put a smile on someone face. Well done, Sara.

Jenny said...

Who doesn't love elephants!