Pages

Sunday, June 4, 2023

For a good cause

As most of my regular readers know I make a lot of pillowcases every year.  They are quick to make, and each one uses approximately 1 yard of fabric from an overflowing stash.  And better yet, having these on hand means I have a quick gift or donation when needed.  Pillowcases are just a satisfying thing to make - fast, easy, and can involve FUN fabrics.  


This little stack of 13 pillowcases will go to a foster child program in my younger daughter's community.  Monkeys, dogs, frogs, race cars, and Pooh Bear - fun kid themed and bright.   I'm really happy I can help out just a little.  Apparently they have local volunteers who add drawstrings and turn the pillowcases into bags that kids in the foster system can use to collect and carry some of their belongings, and also use with a pillow no matter where they go. 


This scrappy Irish Chain quilt was donated as well as the pillowcases. It's a good cuddle size.


The pink petunias that granddaughter Sophia helped plant are thriving on the back deck, as is the little "trailer" plant we tucked in with it.  I have no idea what that little plant was.  There are solar twinkle lights wrapped up the post for the rain gauge, and a solar hummingbird stake in that pot.  The hummingbird changes color every few seconds. The solar gnome (blue) no longer works, but he's kind of cute so he stays.  The plant in the pot behind it however - really needs to be repotted to a much bigger pot, but since Dave has still been working 16 hour days I've not dared ask for his help - which I definitely need as it's heavy.  

There are pink geraniums on the front porch.  And a bowl of succulents on the little table between my chairs out there.  The only gardening I'm doing is in a few flower pots. 

4 comments:

Kate said...

Fun pillow cases and cuddle quilt. Hope the weather has been nice enough to enjoy the view from your back porch.

Preeti said...

So much Scrappy Goodness in that Irish Chain Quilt. I am sure it will be cherished and loved. I remember the first time I made pillowcases, I made three. They are like potato chips - you cannot just stop at one. The pink petunias are beautiful. I hope you will get to enjoy them for a long time.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great organization to donate the pillowcase to! Way to go! Your petunias are lovely:)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun pillowcases!! A great way to brighten a day and to help out !!
That scrappy Irish chain is a cool design!