Pages

Saturday, July 8, 2023

RSC23 - Week #27

This should be a fun Saturday, as both granddaughters are swimming at the same swim meet today.  And after we are going to our older daughter's house for a cookout supper to celebrate her birthday, and just enjoy some family time.  It has been a fun week as well, with plenty of red coming out to play.


Last week I just had to purchase and download the Feeling Crabby pattern by Wendy Sheppard.  I kept seeing such cute projects online, so of course I couldn't resist.  The red crab blocks are really cute but I only made 2 of them - so far.  Some frustration occurred in getting those legs to line up properly.  The problem wasn't the pattern, it was me.  LOL  The border I added was fabric left over from my oldest daughter's destination wedding quilt/guest book.  She had a destination wedding, and guests signed a tropical quilt I made.  The leftovers have been in a drawer for 13 years.  These 2 Crabby squares ended up 16" square, and I need to decide if they are going to be pillows or little table toppers.  Or maybe they will be something else once inspiration hits.


The red Floating Stars happened a whole week ago, but then I decided to try out a different plan rather than just make all of these 12" finished blocks.


Spacers - that's my new plan - and I'm using yellow, even though yellow hasn't popped up yet for RSC this year.  Yellow will look good next to any of the other colors.  I made the same Floating Star but as 6" finished blocks instead of 12" ones.  There are 2 spacers with 2 stars, and 3 spacers with just 1 star but lined up differently - centered or closer to top or bottom.  I think this will work out well.


Two small red hearts (4.5") joined the growing stack, along with one using trimmings from the border print on the quilt top I posted about yesterday.  There are enough of these for another row on the quilt, but no a very good variety of color yet.  


The red Brighten blocks are done too.  These are 9" finished blocks.  There is currently no layout plan for these, but eventually there will be enough for a whole quilt.


And just in case you missed my post about the Twinkle Star quilt earlier this week - here is the latest of the RSC projects that has reached the "flimsy" stage.  I'm so pleased with this one, and have decided that I will continue to make this block again in the future.  There are a couple of other RSC block sets that are close to being enough for a quilt top, and I'm excited about that.  

Check out more RSC fun . . .
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Ramona said...

Your crab is so cute! The border fabric is perfect, too. Lots of colorful fun going on in your sewing room!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That crab is just too cute!!! Love the border print from the wedding, too! Oh my, your Twinkle Star is stellar!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That crab block is so fun! I would probably have trouble lining up those legs, too. Love the stars and hearts in any color and also the Brighten blocks. But the *star* of the show is Twinkle Star - beautiful!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Crabby looks happy there surrounded by just the perfect fabric. His legs look a little complicated so well done. All your blocks are beautiful, Sara and your Twinkle quilt looks gorgeous. Lots of happy stitching at your house.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Feeling Crabby is a fun block! I’m continually impressed with your ability to make and gather so many pretty blocks and turn them into wonderful quilts.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cute crab perfect for a kids quilt:)

Jenny said...

Your Twinkle Stars are beautiful. It's good to find nice patterns that you are happy fo repeat.
Jenny

Mari said...

I love the yellow star spacers! They will definitely make a very festive quilt. And the crabs look great, too!

Linda In UK said...

Loved reading your post. Such a lot to see, a real variety of projects. I’ve seen the Crab blocks on Pat Sloan’s daily videos but your red ones are so dramatic. Great! The star flimsy is beautiful.

quiltingbydawn said...

Your crab block is so cute! You have a lot of red sewing done! Great job on your Twinkle Star quilt!