Scrappy Stars is a complete flimsy. I don't use dark backgrounds often enough, but maybe this will prompt me to do so more in the future. I really like how the black prints make the colors pop in those stars. These blocks finish at 9" so this is only 45" x 54" - a nice size to snuggle under on the couch.
One leftover block has become a hot pad for my kitchen. It's already in the kitchen drawer with the other hot pads, and the bonus is I threw away 5 very worn out hot pads so the drawer isn't nearly as crowded. Inside of the hot pad is one layer of Insulbrite and one layer of cotton batting. There is also one more of these ready to bind, which will mean that every block got used for something. Yay!!
I've sorted my smaller scraps by color for a lot of years. It works for me. The bin holding black scraps also has some brown and grey scraps that need to be sorted out into their own bins. It's really overflowing right now.
One 9.5" string block was made with black strings from this bin, and then I pivoted to make a red string block because I had some red strips laying on the cutting table. String blocks make great mindless sewing. I've been doing these larger string blocks on muslin foundation squares, and usually do the smaller ones on phone book paper.
In an effort to pare down those black scraps - this happened. The parts are cut, and on a design board for more Ticker Tape, Hollow-9, and Tulip Swirl blocks. I also have some scraps sorted out to make at least 1 or 2 black Gameboard blocks. Let me just say - a LOT more of this cutting would need to happen before making that bin of black scraps manageable again. It's still overflowing.
Now that the Scrappy Stars block set has become a flimsy, it's time to choose the next RSC block set move along toward the finished phase. I was going to work on the Honey Bees, but am still looking for the right sashing and border fabric. In the meantime I brought the Buckeye Butterfly blocks upstairs for some layout play. Could these be next?
Today is Saturday Sampler and Sew Vintage day, so there probably won't be time to sew. But the focus will still be on quilting. It's my favorite Saturday of each month.
Let's go check out more Rainbow fun . . .






10 comments:
A very pretty finish!
Your scrappy stars top is great! I love the scrappy brights on the scrappy black backgrounds. It will be interesting to see what you do with your remaining blocks.
Scrappy Stars turned out beautifully! Black really does make those colors pop. Enjoy you Saturday fun. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on the Buckeye Butterfly blocks.
Your quilt is gorgeous with the black background!
VERY nice star quilt, Sara. Your colors pop so nicely. I avoid dark backgrounds just because hard to see to quilt, i've learned to use a dark brown thread so i can see where I'm quilting on black. I love the effect that black prints make in a quilt
What color binding on the stars or are you going with scrappy and use all the colors?
Now that is a very stunning star quilt--good job! And wow to getting all of the pieces cut for the next set of blocks!
Scrappy Stars is so pretty, Sara! I have loved these blocks all along, and they look great all sewn together, too. I've never made a quilt with black backgrounds, but now I want to!
So very pretty! Hope you have a fun Saturday!
The Scrappy Stars are awesome. Brights on black always makes for a stunning quilt, I have used black much, but when I use a color instead of a neutral I’m often pleased. You have some great block going..cheers!
Post a Comment