Forgive the quality of this photo. With 30 mph winds blowing today, this was the only spot outside where I could lay the quilt out so it wouldn't blow away.
The rows are all done and the first outer border has been added. Unfortunately I didn't read the directions carefully enough. That white border was supposed to be cut 2" wide and I only cut it 1.5" wide. Since the next border is pieced I'm afraid I'll have to do some math to make it come out correctly. But it won't be the first time I've had to "fudge" a bit, and won't be the last time either.
Yesterday I stopped into my local quilt shop and found a 30s print that will become the final wide outer border. I knew I wanted my pieced border to be red and white - to compliment that big red barn in the middle - so I picked a pretty blue that also had some red and white in it. The pieced border is made of tiny (1.5 x 2.5") flying geese, so it will take me awhile to get to the final border stage.