Pages

Monday, August 28, 2017

Design Wall Monday - door hanger

 
I bought this panel on the bus trip earlier this month, along with some fat quarter to use for a piano key border. And this weekend I made the piano keys and added them to the panel. This was supposed to be a door hanger for my front door.
 
I thought I had the math figured out just right so that the colors went around correctly and everything fit, but I still ended up making some changes as I sewed.  And I don't like those changes, such as the corners.  Plus I'm just not so sure I like that blue in there at all after looking at the photos. In person it isn't quite that light.  This is one of the ways that a UFO is born - because I need to keep looking at this one for awhile before I invest any time or money into quilting this as is. So, it's in danger of just getting set aside. 
 
Maybe I just need to remove those borders and just put binding around that center panel.  Check out what other quilters are working on this week: http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/


4 comments:

Ramona said...

I like the blue as it helps pull out the blue words in the panel. Otherwise, they might be lost. Maybe replace the blue corners with another tan and brown? It's a pretty piece.

Tired Teacher said...

Nice. You might like it more with a small dark frame around it.

Moneik said...

I love the blue with it and it may look better once it's bound with a stopping point for the eye. I would replace one of the blue colors if you have enough of another fabric.

Robin said...

I agree with your conclusions. I would take the piano key border off and just frame it with one fabric. That way the border wouldn't draw your eye away from the most important part - the center panel.