Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Saturday Sampler progress

Some major progress has been made on my Saturday Sampler for this month.  This morning I cut all of the red and grey parts for the pieced sashing for the final 3 months' blocks.  At some point this week I'll sash this month's block (#10).  Maybe tomorrow.  

The bonus versions of my Block #10 are done with batiks and with brights.  The batik blocks have a pale grey background, and the bright ones have a black print background with swirls and splashes of bright colors.  No fancy sashing will go onto these however.  

Sometimes ideas just pop up in my head when least expected.  I've been thinking about how I want to set together the 2 extra sets of Saturday Sampler blocks since I'm not doing that pieced sashing with those. Nothing creative had come to mind so far.  And then I was moving some precuts around and realized this jelly roll has all of the bright colors that those blocks have.  And there are 2 strips of each color.   How about simple 2.5" frames around each of the blocks?  


After doing some auditioning of colors, I framed 3 of the 10 finished blocks using strips from the jelly roll, making each block now 16.5" square.  I think this was a very successful "A HA" moment.  Once all of the blocks are done and framed I can play with the color arrangement more, and the frames keep that black background from dominating the whole thing, which I was getting concerned about. 


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks are all looking great and love the colors of that jelly roll

cityquilter grace said...

wow the colorful borders ramp this up several notches...

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Yes! That’s the perfect way to finish the blocks.