Pages

Monday, July 1, 2024

Design Wall Monday - July 1

 The July 4th week has arrived!  I sure miss the days when we gathered with neighbors and family to set off all the fireworks together. My husband seemed to try every year to outdo whatever he bought for fireworks the year before.  As our kids got bigger, so did the fireworks.  Such fun - even the year he and my cousin (visiting from Minnesota) had to go shopping for fireworks again the morning of the 4th because they fired off too many the night before. 

So, what's on my design wall this week?  A new project is on the design wall. 


The next seasonal door hanger is my priority this week.  It's a watermelon theme, so should be perfect for the second half of summer. This is watermelon growing country after all.   These door hangers are Riley Blake kits.   


I've begun the process of cutting all the parts for the door hanger.  The background and the greens still need to be cut and clipped together with the little alphabet clips.  So far, I've only cut the reds, orange, and yellow parts.  The picture on this pattern looks complicated but now that I've read through it a couple of times I think this door hanger top will go together quickly - except for the appliqued flower stems, leaves, and watermelon seeds.  


The backing for another UFO has been prepped, so this one will be ready to take to a long arm quilter this month.  There is enough of this pink to use on the back of the strawberry bed runner too, with just a little piecing to make it long enough.  

The new color for Rainbow Scrap Challenge is aqua, so there will also be some aqua scraps coming out to play.   And I have plenty of hand stitching to finish on some bindings, and some Big Stitch quilting on a couple of little projects. 

I'm linking up today with Design Wall Monday . . . 

& Monday Musings . . .

6 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

The new door hanger kit is just so sweet. Hope you get it pieced soon so we can see it;)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I miss those days with all the fireworks, too! We always had a lot of fun with that. Your new project is really cute - have fun making it!

Bonnie said...

I’m not sure which I like better - you using old library cards OR the lettered clips! Im a former school librarian and when I retired I took a large bunch of catalog cards. We had computerized years before so really nice card stock cut to 3 x 5” or so are really useful. I understand you using those check out cards. Did you buy the clips with letters or did you add little adhesive dots to your clips? The small quilt you're making is too cute. Hope it goes together easily, including the appliqués.

time4stitchn said...

Those Riley Blake kits are so darn cute: so bright and cheerful. I have 2 in a cupboard for Septemeber ( school house themed.) You are so organized in preparing it. Wow And so happy you have all your Ohio Stars together. Love that block!

Kate said...

A very fun door hanger for the second part of the summer. Stay cool and stich on!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We used to do the fireworks thing too...now we watch it on TV:)