Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2026

RSC26 - Week #27

Happy July 4th!  Do you have fun things planned?  We have absolutely nothing special planned - as usual.  I love fireworks so maybe we'll drive over near the lake to see the fireworks display put on by the city.  


  String Stars is a flimsy.  It's 48 x 60, so a decent size for a couch quilt or for a child.  There are still a few string blocks in the basket, and I'm sure I'll keep making more here and there as the urge hits. String blocks are good for mindless sewing.

Early this week I did a lot of cutting to prep various Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks (and RWB blocks), and it paid off beautifully the past few days because I had plenty of sewing time while avoiding the hot humid weather.  Each day it worked great to choose a particular set of RSC blocks to use as Leaders/Enders.  


I love these Honey Bee (Lori Holt) blocks!  They are going to make a really happy quilt, or maybe I'll divide them into 2 smaller quilts since I've made 2 of each color. 


The Mardi Gras blocks are so fast to make that all 6 of these took less than 15 minutes to sew.  They're made with 7.5" squares, and end up slightly oversized so there is just a bit of sliver trimming to make the blocks a perfect 6.5" square.


Scrappy Stars were next, but I only had 2 of them cut out so far.  I'm going to find some brighter aqua to use in the other 2.   

Sc

Aqua Ticker Tape blocks came together quickly too.  I did end up making just one Hollow 9-Patch block from the smaller leftovers of these other blocks. 

Last but not least I finished a doll quilt this week, about 23" square. Two of the corner squares are kind of dark aqua.  LOL  All 9 of these outer space themed squares were in a bag of scraps given to me a while ago.  Now they've become a doll quilt.  The little alien stuffy was also given to me by another friend - actually a whole bag of various cute stuffies.  I'm planning to tuck the alien in along with a teddy bear wrapped in this quilt when I donate it. 

Let's go check out more Rainbow fun . . .

13 comments:

Donna said...

Wow Sara! You got a lot accomplished. Love your string hearts quilt; a little girl is going to love it!

Astrid said...

Your String Stars are beautiful, Sara! Pretty blocks in the month's RSC colors. Fun doll quilt, it would be a great donation together with the alien and teddy bear!

cityquilter grace said...

i thought your bees were really big mice...LOL....all your projects coming along nicely...did have plans for today but heat has nixed anything outdoors...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love watching fireworks - the neighbors across the road usually have a lot of them so I will sit on the porch this evening and see what they have this year - one day they will stop I'm sure I've heard they are more expensive this year than ever

Gwyned Trefethen said...

All your projects are such fun. Still those bees are extra cute. I can see why you are enamored with them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your string stars top - it's a beauty! Always fun to see what other blocks you're working on, too. I need something that would work for smaller pieces - I'm eying those ticker tape blocks. Happy 4th of July to you! We don't have much planned either, but our city puts on a good fireworks show that we can see from just down the street, so that will be a good ending to the day!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We rested all day...and will repeat tomorrow. I can hear fireworks last night down at the lake and I am sure there will be more tonight unless it rains.

Jenny said...

Those string stars are really great. I've made string blocks now and again but never thought to turn them into stars, thanks for the idea.

Vicki in MN said...

Which of those projects are my favorite-I don't have any idea as I love them all!! Hope you got to see fireworks, we did not as ours was postponed at the last minute.

Delighted Hands said...

Love the results of your RSC work! The doll quilt is too cute-especially with its own alien!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a gorgeous string star quilt! All your blocks are so much fun, Sara! Of course I'm especially partial to the Ticker Tape blocks!

Kate said...

You did get a lot of stitching done. The string quilt turned out beautifully. Those bees are really fun.

Jo said...

Wow. You have some lovely blocks happening with some great future projects to be done. Very inspiring.