I spent a LOT of time on Saturday afternoon trying to embroider my grandchildren's names on their stocking cuffs.
First up I cleaned out the bobbin casing area of my machine and put in a brand new embroidery needle with the exact specs my machine's guidebook suggested. I bought embroidery thread and bobbin thread. I worked on a practice piece first. The practice piece had lots of skipped stitches and broken threads. But I finally managed to get 2 letters "kind of" embroidered.
But then I hooped up one of the cuff fabrics and things went downhill from there. My thread broke every dozen or stitches. I changed needles again, rethreaded everything, re-hooped the fabric and stabilizer. But the whole process just kept getting worse. After nearly 3 hours of frustration, I gave up and went to the movies with my husband.
Today I just worked on piecing a few triangle-in-a-square units for the Bonnie Hunter mystery, mended my granddaughter's pants, mended my daughter's shirt pocket, and finished up the casserole hot pads I started earlier in the week as Christmas gifts. And I grumbled and growled over those stocking that are so close to being done - but yet are not.