Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Big stitches and a mystery quilt


The class I attended on Tuesday evening was so enjoyable.  It was on Big Stitch quilting and we each got a fat quarter of a "cheater" print to practice on, along with muslin backing and batting.  We used spray basting to sandwich them and 3 strands of floss to do the stitching.  I've done hand quilting but definitely learned a couple of new tips for the big stitch technique.  Once I get it done this should make a really cute pillow. 
 

After my lunch with the retired school staff group yesterday, I came home and did a bit of sewing.  The first month's clue for the Tranquility mystery quilt (Bear Creek) was 4 of these blocks.  They'll finish at 12".  The color is much more accurate in this close up photo.


Since it's a mystery, I have no idea how these 4 blocks will fit into the quilt.  But I sure like the look of them.  


My walking route is along the sidewalk and streets in my neighborhood.  These beautiful flowers are climbing up the mailbox post of one of my neighbors.  


On my back deck the pink geranium has survived the heavy rain and is blooming again.  The other flower pots are showing varying damage.  The big pot with the Canna and sweet potato vine is doing well.  The petunias look like they will come back, but the marigolds must not have liked so much water.  We'll see how they all do.

4 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Wow, the mystery blocks are fabulous. However they are used, they will make a dramatic statement.

Vicki in MN said...

My marigolds didn't like all the hard rain either. Had to spray my sweet potato vine as it is getting eaten by something. Love the purple clematis climbing on the mailbox. Those mystery blocks are really pretty!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the looks of the big stitch quilting! Your geranium is very pretty!

Kate said...

Looks like a very fun mystery. The hand quilting class looks like fun. Hope you have a very productive weekend in the sewing room.