Pages

Monday, June 17, 2024

Design Wall Monday - Shibori & a QOV

One project is coming OFF my design wall today, and another is going ON to the design wall.  The project coming off the design wall . . . Shibori Blues is now a flimsy. 
 


Shibori Blues is actually the name of the layer cake fabric line I used in this quilt, but it's the name I'm keeping for this one.  The real pattern name is Trailing Squares from the Missouri Star Block magazine this spring.  I'm already picturing this pattern done in big prints, like Kaffe.  Or just plain scrappy. Very quick and easy to make.  It was raining when I wanted to take a picture of the flimsy so I went into our basement family room and layed it out on my husband's putting/chipping green. This may become my new design wall/floor and it's right around the corner from my sewing room. 


Up next on the design wall is a Quilt of Valor sampler.  In 2023, Pat Sloan did a 9-block sew-along called Autumn Wonders.  I made all 9 blocks in 2 different colorways - one was in autumn colors and one was patriotic.  The autumn version is a flimsy hanging in the closet, but the patriotic version needed to be slightly bigger.  So I chose 3 random blocks from the Moda Blockheads free blocks to make a total of 12 blocks - just right for a sampler.  Saturday afternoon I cut the blue sashing and red cornerstones.  I'll add an outer border to it later.  This will be my main project this week I think.

Bindings were prepped for 1 large quilt and 1 table topper, so there will be more binding in my future as well as assembly of this new Quilt of Valor.

Oh yes - and my Liberty Box from Fat Quarter Shop arrived on Saturday. I’m very excited to work on the cute project in that box.  

What's on your design wall today?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

I'm also linking up with Monday Musings . . .
https://songbirddesigns.blog/blog/

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I LOVE your Shibori Blues! Hopefully it won't languish in the 'to be quilted' pile too long. Have fun with your QOV quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

yes shibori is very nice...hmm i have a few (LOL) kaffes...might look that pattern up

Vicki in MN said...

I recognize that blue stars you are using for sashing, I got mine at Hobby Lobby and love using it. Gonna be a good sewing week here with all the rain in the forecast. Tstorm rolled through with a little hail already this morning.

Nann said...

Wow, that was fast -- you just got the Shibori fabric, or so it seems.
Your other projects look interesting. Please send some rain to us!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Shibori Blues is beautiful, Sara! I love the dark to light layout. Looks like you're keeping busy!

Bonnie said...

I really like your Shibori Blues, AKA Trailing Squares... it looks so involved but not when you realize it isn't set on point and there looks like minimal piecing of the main blocks. Must find a copy of this quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your Shibori Blues is very pretty! I can see it in alternating red/blue squares for a QOV. Excited to see your sampler...I'm always looking for inspiration for QOV's!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Blue is my favorite color, so I like Shibori Blues! Like the other commenters, I’ll look for the pattern. Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh I like shibori blues - you are right it looks great with lots of prints!!! and yay for the QOV sampler - super pretty!

Chrisknits said...

I've missed some updates! Everything looks wonderful, I am still loving that Shibori!

Kate said...

Shibori Blues is so pretty, love all those blues. The patriotic quilt will be a fun and bright assembly project. Hopefully you've made good progress on it this week.