Pages

Friday, September 11, 2026

Finished (or not) Friday - Sept 11

I know it's very cliche to talk about remembering exactly where we were and what we were doing when certain events happened in history.  I'm old enough to remember the Kennedy assassination, the ending of the Viet Nam war, and of course 9-11. And yes, I certainly do remember where I was that morning, as do most Americans. How has it possibly been 25 years ago already?


I have a NEAR finish to share this week.  Our QOV group had a few RWB Rail Fence blocks left over from a previous quilt, so this spring/summer I pulled out a lot of RWB scraps and made a bunch more Rail Fence blocks (6" finished).  I also made the RWB Friendship Star blocks to go with them, and put everything into a kit for our group.  Deb B took this kit and finished up this gorgeous flimsy.  This may have to be a design we use again.


A small finish of my own can be reported.  I actually finished the binding last weekend on this cute Halloween runner.  This was a kit - although I moved some fabrics around.  The checkerboard was supposed to be the binding.  I used a solid black from my stash for the binding instead. The black print was supposed to be the outer border with a narrow white inner border.  I put that white back into the stash, and then pulled it back out and used it for background in some QOV blocks.  Nothing wasted. 


A medium size finish also happened, with the binding of Snowdrift. It's a 48 x 60 quilt that was a kit from a Sew Sampler box.  The pattern and fat quarters for the blocks were in the kit, and the background, border, backing, and binding came from my stash.  This is another UFO that can be checked off my PHD list for 2026. 

My orthopedic appointment yesterday went well enough.  No surprise that I have a lot of arthritis in my knees, especially that right one that has been painful and swollen.  I got an injection and some recommendations - icing more often, take anti-inflammatory more often, get a "sleeve" to wear on the knee when it's bothering me, and use the cane for extra stability when needed.  Hopefully the injection will help with the inflammation, which should reduce the Baker's Cyst on the back of my knee and reduce the pain. 

For more finishes, please visit:  https://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Donna said...

Yes I remember exactly where I was on 9-11. It’s hard to believe it’s been 25 years. A veteran will love that QOV. I love that you changed the binding to black. It frames that table runner. Good job on getting another UFO done. Hope your knees get some relief.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have a bakers cyst behind my knee also...hope that routine of ice, ant inflammatory and a sleeve helps you. Hope you have a fancy cane! I do not think it is cliche...I was cuddling and rocking a 8 day old Adam because his Mom had lots to do! I was in Social Studies Class when Kennedy was shot...I am not sure about the end of the Vietnam war...I count the day the POWs came home as the end.

PaintedThread said...

Love the red white and blue quilt.

25 years - there are young adults that have never lived in a world without 9/11. Hard to imagine.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is definitely a day where you remember what you were doing when you learned what had happened. I've had lots of conversations with people about that today. You've got some beautiful finishes, Sara! Beautiful QOV, very cute tablerunner, and I love Snowdrift! Hope your knee starts to feel better with the injection and those recommendations.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I was in Tokyo when 911 happened and it had great impact on the world there, also. Gorgeous QOV quilt. I prefer your use of the checkerboard fabric for borders--👍🏻. And a 3rd cute finish as well!

Delighted Hands said...

What a very pretty design for the QOV! Your little table runner is cute, too!

Nann said...

Oh, yes, I remember that morning very well. (And Kennedy's assassination.) ..... Your stars and rails make a great QOV design. And, yes, it's pumpkin time again.

Kat Scribner said...

GREAT QOV, Sara! Very nice layout for those friendship star blocks.