Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Farm Girl Vintage - Wooly Sheep

 
I had to do some major digging in the stash to find a medium grey that I liked for the Wooly Sheep block.  Grey just isn't a color that I buy very often.  It needed to be the right color AND play nicely with all of the 30s reproduction fabrics in the other blocks. 
 
"Black sheep, black sheep, have you any wool?"  Early in our marriage we farmed for 10 years on my husband's home farm. We ran about 750 ewes and 50 head of cattle.  That was a LOT of sheep, and lambing season was always crazy. About 1/3 of our herd was Suffolk sheep, with black faces and white bodies. Those lambs were often quite grey when they were born, and occasionally we would get a completely black lamb.  We kept a few of the black ewes - just for fun. Plus, the black wool brought a premium, so we kept it separate at shearing time. These blocks made me think of those lambs with a big smile.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

So cute! I love the legs.

Vicki in MN said...


Adorable! Reminds me of some fabric stuffed sheep I used to make for craft shows.

Tired Teacher said...

Not only is the gray fabric perfect for the sheep, it the black is also. I love the contrasting texture in both. Nicely done! The blocks are adorable.

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh you are so right, all grays are not the same! You have picked the perfect one. These blocks are just too cute. As is the flower block in your previous post. I almost did this Farm Girl quilt. Sort of kicking myself that I didn't. :-)

PaintedThread said...

Cute sheep - I like these blocks.

Anonymous said...

Love all your projects and blocks. Can you please tell me where to find the wooly sheep and the elephant patterns? I saw the elephant block on Pintrest and like it. Thank you. Donna

Sara said...

Donna - the Wooly Sheep block is in the Farm Girl Vintage book. But the elephant was on a blog many years ago that I don't think exists anymore. I would try Googling elephant quilt block to find it.

sewyouquilt2 said...

love your sheep. I too am doing a farmgirl vintage but making it my own farm with companion blocks. I have 8 of the 6 inch blocks done so far. fun to see others fabrics in the blocks.