Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Polka Dots


I've managed to get one step further in making these pinwheel blocks from a charm pack and some white and black yardage.  There are now 23 pinwheel blocks complete and they are 6" unfinished.  And the rest of the blocks are in progress.  There will be 42 finished blocks, using a whole charm pack of Blueberry Park fabric. All are shades of blue and aqua, with bold white patterns.
 
My process for these is to sew all the way around the outside of the paired up charm square and background square.  Then I cut diagonally twice.
 
 
Next step is to press these new half square triangles, trim off the dog ears, and sew them together.  I always "spin" that center seam with this type of block to reduce the bulk.  This is a really quick way to make pinwheels and works with any size square of course. I'm not sure how I'll lay these out yet, but there are lots of options.  I think these will make a great kid's quilt, no matter how I end up putting them together.



2 comments:

Ramona said...

I love your colors and the fabrics are so fun! It's going to be a great children's quilt.

Tired Teacher said...

I never think of purchasing polka dot fabric. It looks great in the pinwheels.