Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Design Wall Monday - Patriotic blocks

Quilts of Valor have been on my mind lately, with lots of time checking them out on Pinterest and on blogs that I read. 



At our guild meeting this weekend, one of our members donated several beautiful patriotic blocks to use for future Quilts of Valor.  The blocks were not all the exact same size or shape and were from a block exchange she had been involved in.  We are having a QOV sewing session the morning of our May guild meeting. So we'll figure out a layout to use those blocks that day. I'm thinking a nice gold sashing to separate them should work well.

That made me start thinking about a possible future guild challenge of making 12" blocks that we can put into Quilts of Valor.  Everyone could just choose to make their favorite block, keeping the patriotic color scheme and the size.  This could be a way to make multiple quilt tops quickly.



So with these ideas racing around my head, I had some fun on Sunday playing with some patriotic blocks. The star block at the top is actually leftover star units from the QOV that I just had quilted.  I had 8 extras, so I can make another block like this too.  And the block at the bottom used the Diamond Tile block from the new Quiltmaker magazine. This was the block in Bonnie Hunter's Addicted to Scraps column, and I added the blue corner triangles and the red border to make it 12" finished.

Check out what other quilters have on their Design Wall Monday posts:  http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

It's wonderful your Guild is plannning a QOV project for the May meeting. (You know how much I enjoy making QOV) I wish I lived closer because I'd be there to sew with you.

cityquilter grace said...

our guild is also doing a QOV....all blocks done (they are identical) and now to construct the top...wonderful organization!

Ramona said...

Great blocks for a QOV. I look forward to seeing the quilt with all of the various blocks.