Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2018

RSC18 Country Lane



Rainbow Scrap Challenge block for June is Country Lane. It is a block found in the mid-1930s on the Mountain Mist packaging.  I decided to try putting my white background in totally different placements on my 3 blocks to see how much it changed them. And wow - it changes the blocks a lot.



I'm not sure which block version I like the best. They all turned out pretty well, and it was fun to play around with color placement. My colors don't look quite as "aqua" as they are in real life.  I used aqua and teal scraps for these.



How do you lay out your pieces for sewing?  I have 3 of these simple design boards that I use quite often.  They are simply a piece of craft board covered with a piece of fleece or batting, and then a wide binding strip is hot glued around the edges. This is the smaller one, and the other 2 are about 4 inches larger. I love using these for unfamiliar blocks in particular because I'm less likely to put a piece in the wrong place if I can lay it out like this and see the arrangement. 

6 comments:

Ramona said...

Gorgeous blocks, Sara! It is amazing how the look changes with moving the white. I use a cookie sheet to move pieces from my design wall to my sewing machine. I need to make a couple of the boards you have, though. The pieces won't shit when moving them.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks!

Tired Teacher said...

❤️ the blocks!

I have a dozen 18" squares cut from poster board that I use to lay out blocks for faster sewing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I still haven't made one of those design boards. I layout my block parts on the table (as if they were on a design board.) Each of your blocks turned out beautifully!!

Mari said...

Great blocks! Looks like your experiments worked out well. I lay out my blocks on a batting covered board. No fancy finishes on the edges, though. (academicquilter at gmail dot com)

woolyjooly said...

I think you meant "shift" hahaha!