Pages

Friday, December 7, 2018

Return to Ritzy Cracker blocks



One of the very best things about social media is being able to share ideas with other quilters. I get so much inspiration from the blogs I read regularly.  I first saw these blocks done by Lori at https://dakotacityquilterii.blogspot.com/, who shared with me the link to the tutorial on Moda Bake Shop.  This block is so versatile, but really lends itself to a scrappy quilt.



I made about 150 of these in a rainbow of colors for our family reunion last summer for signatures.  It's going to make a fun quilt.  Which reminds me that I need to get those blocks sewn together soon.

This fall Nancy, at https://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/ began making these in red and blue to use in a Quilt of Valor.  What a fabulous idea!  On her blog she shows them all laid out with blues and reds alternated.  It's going to be a really striking QOV. 

Our guild members have been making Garlic Knot blocks for our QOV for the past year and a half.  We have enough for 3 or 4 quilts, which are in various stages of completion.  So maybe it's time to make something fresh and new.  And the Ritzy Cracker block could be the one.  It's fast and very easy. And because we square them up after sewing, they are very forgiving when many different people are sewing them. 

My design board has the pieces for a block all laid out and ready for the demo at our January guild meeting.  I have a couple of blocks made as samples, and I have condensed the instructions to 1 page for a handout.  I'm hoping 2019 will be a productive year for our newly formed Quilt of Valor group, started by several guild members.

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I don't know how I missed seeing these blocks on Lori's blog, but I'm grateful that you posted about them. I added the outer borders to the QOV top yesterday and hope to have a post next week. I loved making the blocks and the quilt. Good to hear that some of your guild members started a QOV group.

Moneik said...

I love the block and think it will make a great Quilts of Valor. I'm so glad you have a group to make these with.