Pages

Friday, April 16, 2021

Second post today - more RSC blocks

 After making that baby quilt using the Roll On blocks from charm packs recently, I realized this block design would be ideal for quickly adding scrappy blocks to the collection for future RSC projects.   And to be honest, I needed a break from sewing tiny pieces.  I had already made a couple of "just for fun" blocks, one being the monkey print below.  So I dug in, pulled more light blue charms, and started sewing.  I'm using a mixture of white-on-white backgrounds for these, but a neutral print would be fun in the future.  They are 7.5" unfinished. 


It was easy to find pink, yellow, and green to represent the previous 2021 RSC colors.  


And while I was picking out colors and prints, these random colors selected themselves as well.  The cat print on the bottom left was the other block I made a couple of weeks ago just for fun.  The baby quilt I made had 30 blocks made of 30s prints, layed out 5 x 6.  So far I have 16 blocks and I think these can continue to collect in 2021 for a larger quilt but still probably for a child because I have a LOT of leftover kid prints from previous projects.  

The block is so quick and easy, and I have a small container full of 5" squares, plus lots and lots of other fabric - obviously.  Some of the 5" squares are left over from other projects, and others were cut from scraps over the years of trying to be more organized. 

If I've learned anything the past couple of months while emptying fabric drawers, sorting and trying to reorganize that stash, it's that I could sew for many many years mostly from the stash and the scraps. It's time to dig into them more often.  And these will make a great change when I'm struggling with tiny pieces and need a break.  

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh those blues are just perfect!

Chase Klop said...

I love that Roll On block! I searched for a tutorial or pattern and couldn’t find anything. I experimented with some fabric, but mine came up 8.5”. I’m just curious if you could provide a link to buy the pattern? Thanks!

Sara said...

I don't think the ultimate size will matter as long as all 4 sections are the same. I squared mine up to 4.25" before sewing the 4 sections together. But it shouldn't matter. I don't have a link for the pattern, sorry. I think it was in a magazine years ago.