Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

More blocks

 Right now I’m finding it so satisfying to make blocks - just blocks, and more blocks.  Blocks for a group project, blocks for another Quilt of Valor, and blocks for some of my current ongoing projects.  

Tuesday sewing time resulted in 3 new Ohio Star blocks.  Two of them are purple for this month's RSC color, and the other is orange - just because it was laying near my cutting mat.  More purple is in my plan for this week, with Roll On and Ohio Star blocks partially cut out. 


Originally I was going to just make 4 of the Virtue blocks for my friend Linda in Ohio.  But then I kept finding other novelty type prints that would make a cute block for a child's I Spy quilt.  So I’ve made 8 of them.  I hope to get them mailed to her this week.  She plans to make one or more quilts for a children’s charity program in her community with the blocks she collects from our group.  

Another set of Jelly Belly Bar blocks is under construction for a new Quilt of Valor.  I already made one QOV quilt top using those blocks, but I have a layer cake that would work perfectly for a second one.  I have made 11 so far.  The pattern has these laid out horizontally, but they would also work nicely in vertical rows, like this.  I'm using cream, plus red and blue for the center "bar" part of these blocks.  The first one I made had all white centers.  I think adding some reds and blues will work well since there are a lot of the lighter colored prints in this layer cake.  I'll need 36 blocks if I make it the same size as the first one, and there are 42 squares in the layer cake, so should work out well. 

The blocks require 4 frame pieces 2.5” wide - 2 of them 10” long and 2 of them 9” long.  So a layer cake piece is perfect to cut the frames for 1 block with very little waste.  And I'm comfortable cutting 4 layers at once so it is a quick process. 

3 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The variety of fabrics in the center of the Jolly Bar blocks add a lot of interest. I like the vertical setting, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the fireworks fabric it is just perfect!

Nann said...

I like the Virtue blocks with the double geese and the novelty centers.