Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Sloppy sewing

Some days it's just hard to get things right.  This is how my Monday sewing on the Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks was going . . . or NOT going.


This is a flying goose unit that should measure 3.5 x 2", and was actually cut with templates.  The wing on the right side went on just perfectly, but the left side wing wasn't lined up even close to where it should have been.  And yes - I took it apart and fixed it.  
 

But then the finished block is 1/4 inch too small on 2 sides.  GRRRR!  Since all of the pieces here were cut using the same FWS templates that I've been using, then my best guess is that I didn't sew a very accurate quarter inch seam in some places.  I'm going to play with this one a bit and see if I can do scant seams and make this work.  But it frustrated me enough that I had to turn off my machine and walk away.  

Ironically, we had just talked at the Simple Whatnots class about how much better our accuracy has become since working with the small pieces in the Kim Diehl projects, and the Lori Holt projects.  Obviously I need to focus better!!

3 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Walking away is the best thing to do, and then tackle the block when you’re fresh and your mind clear. This usually happens to me when I’m making swap blocks for the guild.

Kate said...

It's always frustrating when the stitching doesn't work out during round 1. Hopefully you've already gotten it fixed up and are moving along.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like my attempt at quilt blocks:)