Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thank You to ALL Who Serve


Memorial Day is here and I want to say thank you to all of the men and women who have put on a uniform and served our country.


My family can be proud of many who did so. My father and father-in-law both served in WWII (both passed away many years ago). My cousins Jim and Kenny - both spent many years in the Navy during the 70's and 80's. My husband's cousin Curt, also Navy, passed away about 4 years ago. Two of my brothers-in-law served during the Vietnam War years. Two nieces - one who just retired after 23 years in the Army, and one who recently chose to return to civilian life following 3 tours in Iraq. Both of these ladies have husbands who are still actively serving. And the husband of another niece is also in uniform. To all of you - thank you!


I took my mother-in-law back to Artesian today for the Memorial Day program, which was held a day early. We drove through the cemetary before going to the community center, and then returned for a longer visit after the program. The traditional Memorial Day program included patriotic readings and music. The program ended with Taps as always. I was struck by how small the attendance has become. The population of the community is shrinking - and aging. But there was still a lot pride showing.

No comments: