Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Fast and Easy Dresden Plates



Took the day off and I spent the morning with my rotary cutter and cutting mat - having some fun. This is the first project I worked on. They are Dresden Plate slices that I cut from a set of 6" blocks I got in a swap a couple of years ago. As you can see there are 26 different purples already cut and I have a few more on my ironing board waiting.


From each 6" block I can get 2 of these slices. Smaller blocks make smaller Dresden Plates. I only had 1 of some of these blocks, but had 2 or more of some others. Most of the blocks were from the swap, but a couple of the fabrics were from some purple fat quarters I had as well. Depending on what I decide to make with these, I may trim some down to make some smaller plates as well for variety.


I believe that the correct ruler can save so much time. For this project I used the Easy Dresden ruler. It has very clear markings to allow you to select any size of slice you want. I chose the 6" slice. I folded each block in half so I could cut 2 at once. Once the slices are cut, then you sew across the wide end, set the stitches briefly with a hot iron. Then you turn that point right-side-out, center the seam and press the point into the piece. And as quickly as that you are ready to put the Dresden slices into the plate shape by sewing up the long sides to make pairs, then makes "4-z's", etc until you have the complete circle. Applique this unit onto your background and add an appliqued circle over the center if you want.


My second cutting project this morning will have to wait for another post.







No comments: