Pages

Monday, February 8, 2021

Design Wall Monday - A disappointing kit

Now that UFO project #1 is ready to quilt I decided to pull out the next one on my February APQ UFO Challenge list. The second UFO on the list is Humble Homes, a kit I’ve had in a drawer for close to a decade, obviously without looking too closely at it.  Actually I guess it’s a PIG since it was still in the sack.  But I loved the design of this and looked forward to working on it - notice the past tense here. 


The Humble Homes kit has die cut houses and trees, background fabric and 6 fat quarters to use for the pieced border. However . . . as I sorted through things my disappointment grew.  The houses are NOT various shades of blue as I had anticipated. Gold, burgundy, purple - and I'm not sure I like some of them.  I was so disappointed to not see blue houses!!


Next I noticed the die cut shapes do NOT have fusible on them.  There was a little note in a baggy suggesting you use a dot of Elmer’s glue to attach them to applique.  Yikes!!  No fusible will certainly make the applique process slower. 

And then I noticed the pattern calls for 11” x 57” strips cut length of fabric - 5 of them total.  And it clearly indicated 4 and 1/8 yards of the background was needed.  Hmmm - no matter how I measured, there is only a bit over 2 yards of that cream background in the bag, and it was only 41” wide.  No way to get 5 of those strips even by piecing some.  So, I’ll be buying new background fabric for this one, and use the existing 2 yards for something else.  Or I could just buy another 2 yards of a similar color and alternate those rows like it was planned from the start.  


Since I'll be buying new background fabric I just might also shop my stash for blue fabrics to make the houses blue like the pattern picture.  Plus I would iron on the fusible before cutting those shapes so they are easier to applique.  The pattern contains the shape patterns, so there is really nothing stopping me from making it the way I want it to look.  I'm guessing this one might take me all year to finish. 

What is on your design wall this morning?  I'm linking up with:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/2021/02/design-wall-monday-february-8-2021.html 

4 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

What a disappointing discovery! I’m glad you decided to make the houses blue.

Nann said...

What a bummer! I was going to suggest you inquire about a refund but I reread you post and see that you've had it for several years. Well, since they didn't make the houses and trees with fusible applique, and if you don't use them for this quilt, then you have more scrap fabric to play with! (I can see a wonky design called Homewrecker, or Demolition. )

Far Side of Fifty said...

You will make it perfect...sorry it wasn't what you thought!

Ramona said...

How disappointing that your kit isn't what you expected. The fact that the photo has blue houses, but the actual fabrics aren't blue is false advertising. I know you will create something beautiful from the kit, though.