Pages

Monday, September 9, 2024

Design Wall Monday - Sept 9

 Here we are on a Monday again.  It was guild weekend, and as always the Show n Tell was SEW inspirational.  I must show the one that was my favorite.

Hopefully Karen won't mind that I'm sharing this picture.  This large wall hanging was amazing and my photo does not do it justice.  Each block is a mix of applique and embroidery.  Her embroidery was exquisite, and then the applique . . . wowza!  She even put in bits and pieces of lace on those cabin roofs and in the sashing blocks.  I will never make something this beautiful but can sure enjoy seeing it.  I predict this one could be the Viewer's Choice winner at our next quilt show.  


So . . . now back to more utilitarian quilts. Mine!  I have a new quilt to bind this week.  This is the Riley Blake Design challenge from earlier in 2024.  I did mine in 30s prints and added some additional blocks to my quilt to make it larger.  It's all quilted with Baptist Fans, which is so appropriate for the vintage-look fabrics.  Once the binding is done, I'll show it off. 


Clue #4 for the Tranquility mystery quilt came out last week.  I'm so glad I followed the hint provided in the email to cut the pieces slightly oversized and then square up those flying geese and HSTs before sewing them into the block.   That made the blocks come together nearly perfect.  We will need 8 of these blocks, bringing the total to 34 blocks so far.  

I have 4 done, with the remaining 4 blocks partially done.  The units are all sewn, but need pressing and squaring up.  My goal this week is to finish them all so that I stay caught up with this mystery.

The Chubby Charmer tote bag is also coming along.  There is some handwork to finish up, and then the handles can be attached.  Again - one of my goals for this week.

Making a few additional blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is always on my To Do list for each week.  And then . . . you know I'm likely to play with something else that wasn't even on the radar yet, because that seems to be my pattern.

I'm linking up today to Design Wall Monday . . .

5 comments:

Nann said...

Hooray for a finish-in-the-works (the Riley Blake) and mystery progress -- those blues are tranquility for sure. Have a good week!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wow,the wall hanging is a beauty! Great looking Tranquility block.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my that wall hanging is a beauty, lots of love and planning went into thst one!

Vicki in MN said...

Karen's quilt is so unique, what a great way to break it up with that star sashing in between the rows.

Kate said...

That wall hanging is gorgeous. You have some talented guild members! As much as I love seeing those type of projects, it's just not my thing in the sewing room. I'm more in tune with the utilitarian quilts.