My post on Saturday was about my attempt to organize and clear up my messy scrap bin.
A couple of months ago I decided to work on some string blocks to use up some strips I had that were too narrow for much but too big to just throw away. A blog I've been reading for a couple of years, Making Scrap Quilts From Stash, had the perfect inspiration. The project is called Heartstrings and there are groups all over the country. Mary (on the blog above) gives the dimensions and suggestions for this project. Check it out.
So this spring I cut the muslim foundation squares and chose a lime green solid for all of the center strings of 24 blocks. That is enough for a quilt. I now have 6 string blocks completed, using various strips out of that scrap bin. This is turning out to be a good solution for my need to switch projects. Whenever I've felt the "urge" to do something else, or when I only have a few minutes to sew - I add another string or 2 onto a block. This block looks pretty weird, but when I laid out all 6 together the random colors are great with that lime green center to pull them together.
When I get 24 of them done, I may put them together with a border and donate a top, or I may just donate the blocks themselves to the Heartstrings project. Either way I've used up a bit more stash. Baby steps, baby steps . . .