Pages

Monday, June 19, 2017

Blue canning jars

 

Do you remember the blue canning jars?  Actually any canning jars make me think about helping my mother can veggies and meat (chicken and beef) when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota. I did some canning of my own for several years - mostly pickles.  I've quit gardening in recent years, and that ended the canning too.  But when I saw this fabric I just had to have it. 

This is a Timeless Treasures print that I found in the only quilt shop I visited while back in Minnesota last week on vacation. The Gathering Friends shop in Bird Island is definitely one worth the stop.  They feature lots of their own patterns and a wonderful selection of fabrics. This one just jumped into my hands.  And yesterday after my husband left for a business trip (code for a week of golf with clients) - I headed to my sewing room for some fun of my own.  This 60 degree runner was the first result and I have enough left to make another, or make something else. 

Check out the Design Wall Monday posts at: http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sara,
What fun this table runner is! I love the blue canning jars and even more the daisies. Mine are just opening up now - these look so friendly in the jars. Enjoy your week, sewing whenever you fancy. ~smile~ Roseanne

Susan said...

How delightful........ and soon to be finished...... If you make another one you will have one to keep and one to give.

Moneik said...

Such a great table runner! I love Gathering Friends quilt shop. Definitely one of my favorites.

Tired Teacher said...

Mason jars were used not only to can, but to carry water to those working in the field. The jar was filled with ice and water, and wrapped in an empty sugar sack with a couple of cookies. I remember delivering many sacks to my dad and brothers over the years. Later, when I was working in the fields, I always welcomed that sugar sack with the Mason jar!

AnnieO said...

Very sweet runner from that happy print. I love Mason jars but have never canned anything (black thumb).

Ramona said...

I helped my mom can when I was a child, too, but have not canned on my own. I've made jam though! Your table runner is adorable!

Judy Hansen said...

I still can a few things, mostly tomatoes and applesauce. I remember lots of canning days with my Mother too. Thanks for linking to Design Wall Monday.

PaintedThread said...

Such a pretty print. I really like how this turned out. So simple, yet so nice!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful Sara! I love making runners like that and the caning fabric is perfect! Thanks for sharing.