Pages

Friday, October 27, 2017

An old denim quilt


This is a quilt that I made many years ago. In fact it is probably 20 years old. My kids used it to snuggle on our sofa, we took it to softball games to sit on, and it has been washed a lot.  Denim with lots of pockets and decorative sections, odds and ends of plain cotton, and a plaid flannel back - this lap quilt weighs a ton. And it's tied, not quilted.  

This quilt has spent the last few years just folded up in a spare bedroom on a bench.  But yesterday I gave it to my husband to keep in the back seat of his pick up, as part of his winter weather gear.  I got a kick out of looking at the blue jean sections, and remember my oldest daughter wearing the jeans with the fancy pocket in this picture. She was pretty upset when the jeans wore out, but loved seeing this pocket in the quilt. Definitely some 90s fashion statements living on in a quilt.


2 comments:

Joyful said...

It's nice to have good memories based on things you used to make the quilt. It's also great you got so much use out of it and it is still being used.

Tired Teacher said...

Denim quilts are definitely heavy and rarely wear out.

I need to check my winter kit in the trunk of my car. I keep several blankets in the trunk, but I also like to have some snacks, candles, socks, boots, etc. just in case.