Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Strawberry ice cream and deep dish pies

Do you associate certain foods with your grandmother?  While sewing on a binding this morning I was watching Giada DiLaurentiis on the Food Network. Her show was about how potluck dinners were coming back in popularity - which made me laugh because potlucks never went out of style in this part of the country (rural America). Her potluck dinner guests were asked to bring a dish inspired by a grandmother and that made me think about both of my grandmothers.

Image result for strawberry ice cream

My paternal grandmother was a farm wife from Kansas and most of my memories of her involve the kitchen and food.  She loved to cook and was a really good cook.  Pies were deep dish and cookies were monstrous big - nothing stingy about sweets in her house. I also remember her making noodles and draping them over chair backs and curtain rods on clean white dish towels. And my dad and his brothers would cut all of the crust off a fresh loaf of her homemade bread and eat it before anyone else had a chance. That brought scolding from her, but also a smile.  She taught my dad how to cook and passed along that love of cooking to him as well.

My maternal grandmother lived a block from my Minnesota childhood home and I saw her almost daily growing up. Very few memories of her involve food.  I don't think she enjoyed cooking. But she did enjoy gardening, knitting, playing cards, and watching the Minnesota Twins play baseball on TV.  Grandma always had Schwans strawberry ice cream in the freezer which she would generously share, and I also fondly recall eating cinnamon toast for breakfast when I stayed overnight. Heavy on the cinnamon, just the way I liked it.  She made cottage cheese - which I thought was pretty gross, straining it in cheese cloth over a bowl in the kitchen.  But the worst thing I remember her cooking - frequently - was something she called New England Boiled Dinner. It involved ham hocks, parsnips, and cabbage.  And probably other things too, but I mostly remember I didn't like the way it smelled or tasted. 

So now that I've had my trip down memory lane, what foods do you associate with your grandmother?


3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I didn't know either of my grandmother's as both died long before I was born. I do remember Mom making noodles and draping the dough over chair backs to allow it to dry and rest a bit. Mom also made delicious bread. To this day, I prefer the heel of homemade bread over anything that comes in a plastic bag.

Tired Teacher said...

Autocorrect certainly does interesting things with punctuation. Aargh!

cityquilter grace said...

new england boiled dinner? we ate it often, a one-pot meal usually ham, cabbage, potatoes, carrots; sometimes turnips and beets....my grandmother was a pastry cook...pies, rolls, biscuits, bread, cookies, donuts, cream puffs, etc.