Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

An hour to sew


When you have about an hour to sew, what do you do?  I spent some time trying to decide what I might want to sew for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year.  Looking through some pattern books can turn into a much longer activity than an hour could allow. But I did go back to the Farm Girl Vintage book by Lori Holt for a couple of ideas. That book has so many fun blocks, including this little flower block that I did in red (January color).  I had a little trouble with the leaf and stem sections on this 6" block.  

I also looked at the extra FGV blocks that I purchased and downloaded while working on that quilt - such as the cat, cow, and pig blocks.  The blocks below are from my original Farm Girl Vintage project but they would be so cute done in a rainbow of colors.  


The barn cat was missing his eyes and whiskers embroidered when I took this photo. But I can picture colorful cat blocks making up a child's quilt.


The cow and the pig blocks were also adorable.  Although looking at the pig I am wondering why I took that picture without pressing better.  Yikes!!  The 12" versions of all of these FGV blocks are still waiting to be set into a quilt top.  I put all of the smaller 6" blocks into a quilt that is finished. 


In Lori Holt's Spelling Bee book there was a very cute car block that would be fun in a rainbow of colors.  How about colorful pineapple blocks?  Or just simple string blocks done in one color?  And of course I've been looking at a lot of different traditional blocks that I could do for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2019.  I really want to use up more of those scraps and other stash this year.  

Of course all of this fun will probably have to wait until I return from a trip about Feb 1.  My sewing machine went to the repair shop yesterday, and I won't have a lot of time for sewing between now and leaving on the 17th.  Although there will be some sewing happening while on that trip. Stay tuned for more on that later. 


4 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

All of these blocks would be fun in various colors. Enjoy your trip.

LA Paylor said...

I like all of them!

Moneik said...

I still love all your FGV blocks. I'm so thankful to have mine done, but I see she is starting a new sew along and I might have to participate this year.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Cute blocks Sara, Lori's patterns are always so neat! Hope your sewing machine gets fixed soon!