Pages

Monday, January 13, 2020

Machine quilting - outside my comfort zone


Machine quilting is really outside of my comfort zone but I'm determined to become more skilled at this so I can quilt more of my small projects.  This is my French General wall hanging, and I'm starting with a simple diagonal grid.  Then my plan is to add a more curvy and decorative design in the neutral sections.  Wish me luck!!  

And yes - I do know that I needed more batting extending past the quilt border.  But I'm planning to make this border slightly narrower, so once it's trimmed it will be fine.  And it's only too small in this one area because I'm using leftover batting.  

My husband left about 10:30 this morning to drive to eastern Iowa for work.  However he called me twice in the first hour to ask me to get online and check road conditions on a couple of routes.  And then he started seeing cars in the ditches on both sides of the interstate so he called me again to say he was turning around and coming home.  Those interruptions cut into my limited sewing time today, but I'm glad he decided not to risk that drive.  And he brought me some lunch when he got back - Taco John's apple grande!  So I'll forgive him.  

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I've quilted only very small items on my machine. I was never brave enough to do any free motion quilting. Glad that your husband was wise and came home.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am certain you can machine quilt! Practice makes perfect! I heard the road were bad in Iowa...good thing he came back home:)