Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2020

A light bulb moment


While hanging up some blocks on pants hangers in my sewing room closet, I was distracted by the WIPs and UFOs draped over other hangers in there. Two different Row By Row projects were hanging there, including this row from 2017.  

All of my Row By Row kits, patterns, and license plates are in 2 overflowing project boxes.  After  pulling this row out of the closet I had to dig into the project boxes to find the pattern again so that I could figure out when and when it was purchased.  I picked this row kit up at The Quiltmaker’s Shoppe in Manchester, Iowa while on a road trip with my husband to visit his Iowa clients.  I think I made it soon after purchasing it - and then just hung it in the closet.  I even blogged about all of the goodies purchased on that road trip.  I love all of the  Row By Row license plates and it was a blast looking through those the other day.  

And the light bulb went off in my head about then.  Wouldn’t this row look good as a long bench pillow?  I hadn’t put away the leftover backing from Hayride yet and that soft brown fit in perfectly with the spools in this row.  I know - another distraction, but I just HAD to play with this.  After a little measuring, I cut a 1.5” inner border from a red, and then added 4.5” outer borders.  It’s ready to quilt before trimming it all down slightly to fit the pillow form. I went to The Pin Cushion and bought a little more of the brown for the pillow back.  I already have the long pillow form because I made a Kimberbelle Valentine cover for it this winter.  Hopefully this will be a finish before another 3 years go by, right?

But I promise I'm still working on those 6th Grade quilt blocks too.  

4 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great idea on how to use this UFO! I like the colors and the blocks in this one, too.

Ramona said...

Isn't it funny how ideas come to us sometimes? It will make a great pillow!

LA Paylor said...

brilliant! A long bench pillow... wow, how interesting. Also it's an interesting exercise looking at ufo's together, to see them in a new light, or connected somehow in a new configuration. LeeAnna

chrisknits said...

What treasures we find when we look in our nooks and crannies! Wonderful finish for a cute UFO!