Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A little of this and a little of that


Saturday afternoon I got a request for a couple of masks for a friend.  I made them quickly and she picked them up that evening.  About 30 minutes after she picked the masks up I got a text message from a cousin who needed a couple as well.  So - a little sewing time after lunch on Monday and these could go into the mail the same afternoon.


I was sitting at my desk Monday morning working and saw a white van pull into my driveway.  I thought it might be Dave's new employee stopping by for his hard hat and gear, so I stepped out onto the porch.  And this is the group that popped out of the van - daughter #1 and her 3 kids.  They surprised us!!  It was wonderful to see them even though we could only air hug.  We hung out on the porch and the kids played in the yard.  Our back yard is like being in the woods - lots of big trees and even a boulder to climb on.  This was the highlight of the day for sure!!  It's been 7 weeks since we saw them in person - with us standing in their front yard. 


I have 12 of the framed pinwheel blocks made so far, and just had to play with them a little bit.  They make a good border around another patriotic block.  This is a block that I made as part of a challenge I'm setting up for our QOV group: make any favorite 12" block in patriotic fabrics for a QOV Sampler quilt.  Since the block was handy I tried out how these framed pinwheels look surrounding it.  This would be about 24" square when finished.  Definitely a possibility.


They also look great simply grouped together with no sashing.  With 12 of them I could make a table runner that is about 18" x 24" which is a good size.  Or I could just keep making these for something larger.  The fun is in the "playing". 


4 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I know just how you feel about not seeing family. Maybe we'll see ours this week if the weather is nice enough. It's been rainy so far. I a loving patriotic right now so I had to check out your progress on your pinwheels.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I ran a couple of errands yesterday and saw only a couple of others wearing masks. Sadly,I think we are in for a longer struggle with the virus if people won’t take simple precautions. I can see you’ve been having fun playing with the pinwheels. I like both of the ideas in the photos.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for company! Always lifts the spirits!

woolyjooly said...

Love our Canadian flag fabric masks! Photo to come soon.