Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2024

RSC24 Week #11

What's going on in the RSC world this week?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/
Binding has been happening around here, and it's great to check off 2 UFOs from the list.


Small Hearts was an RSC project over the past 2 years.  The hearts are 4.5" square, except for the one "open" heart.  This is an oversized crib quilt, and should make a good baby gift.  


Scrappiness Is Happiness (Lori Holt book) was a challenge project with our Sew Vintage group last year.  Each of us chose to participate however we chose, or not at all.  I replaced a couple of the blocks from the book and used duplicates of ones the same size.  I think the biggest challenge here was working with such a variety of blocks sizes, and then sashing sizes.  More of my 30s scraps and stash went into this.  The background is scrappy.  And I even did a scrappy binding, using up most of the leftover 30s print binding pieces from the drawer.  This is a big quilt (approx. 82 x 86), and I had a hard time finding a good spot for a photo.  The sun really washes out the colors. In reality it's bright and cheerful because of those 30s prints.


One more RSC quilt is nearly ready to bind, once I get it trimmed.  It has white Ohio Stars.  One of my goals today is to go through the leftover binding strip drawer again, and collect enough to make a scrappy binding.  If there aren't enough leftovers, then I'll dig into the stash to add a few more strips.  


But what about purple sewing this week?  There is a tiny purple finish . . . this birdy mug rug.  I believe this is a Pat Sloan pattern.  Last year I made a baby quilt using the birds and this block was left over.  It's just right for a mug rug at 8.5".


This is the Brighten block.  Each month I've made 2 of them using the RSC color, beginning in 2023.  It's a 10" block, so these will continue to accumulate until there are enough for a decent size quilt.


Night Vision is a block I saw online and just had to add to the RSC collection for this year.  So far I've made 3 green, 3 red, and now this purple one.  I can't stand throwing away triangles trimmed away, so each block ends up with bonus pinwheels to go with it.  This block has a partial seam, but it's quite easy to do since the pieces are fairly big at 3.5" by 6.5".


The parts are all cut for 2 more purple Night Vision blocks.  Hopefully I'll have these sewn over the weekend.  These are 9" finished blocks, so just like the Brighten blocks it will take quite a few to make a useful sized quilt.  There is no rush for these. 

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like all of your blocks but that bird mug quilt is the cutest thing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like how one heart in the quilt stands out

Chantal said...

Nice work on the binding and finishing TWO quilts! Cute little bird mug rug. It is the theme for the Table Scrap Challenge this month: bird. I love the Night Vision block. This will become a very interesting quilt. Looking forward to seeing more. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for some finished quilts! They are both beautiful, and the little bird mug rug is adorable, too. I love the look of your Night Vision blocks - they're fun in every color!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Each of your projects brought a smile to my face. No doubt the recipients will be delighted. I can see why Night Vision called to. Although, personally, I'd be tempted to redraft the pattern to avoid the final connecting seam. Of course, then you wouldn't be able to use those stunning prints because the seam would show where the pattern didn't match.

Sue said...

That's a darling mug rug! I love those Night Vision blocks. They are striking!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Scrappiness is happiness is a beauty!

Kate said...

Congrats on the two finishes and the almost finish. You've done really well on the finish front for the year. Love all your purple blocks, but those Night Vision blocks are my favorite.

Helenchaffin said...

I can't tell you how many trimmed off triangles I've tossed but recently starting saving them ,for what reason I'm not sure🤣you've got lots lots of pretty purple blocks going

Jenny said...

You have had a wonderfully productive time indeed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

TWO of your UFOs done and bound with another waiting for binding? Well done, Sara!! You even managed a batch of PURPLE blocks and a sweet Bird mug rug, too? Go, you (and I hope you will join the upcoming TABLE SCRAPS Challenge over on my blog next week!) We have a BIRD theme for this month.