Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2024

This n that

 What have I found in that dreaded tote this week?  It has gotten interesting as I dive deeper!!  One day at a time on the road to an empty tote - hopefully.  


Folded up in that tote was this cotton sundress that I made in 1999 for my oldest daughter's HS graduation.  She wanted a sundress but couldn't find what she had in mind.  So we went shopping for a pattern and fabric. Let's just say she was a tiny size 0 then - and probably only about a size 4 now in her early 40s.  I texted this photo to both of my girls and it started a whole evening of conversation among the 3 of us.  I'm taking it to her this weekend - because I think her (soon to be 11) daughter might fit into it.  This might be the very last garment I've ever sewn, other than aprons.  I think it ended up here because I planned to use the fabric to make something else as she didn't want to keep it.  


This big bag has been pulled out of that tote. It is full of a whole rainbow of scraps and blocks.  It was taking up a lot of space in that tote and will take me some time to sort through.  But I began with digging out anything purple since that is this month's RSC color.


The black and colorful piece was originally destined to be the front of a big bag. It was pieced using leftover backing (black print) and colored scraps.  The 2 orphan blocks in there were made using an old pattern from Buggy Barn called Hearts & Stars. I'm not sure if these were leftover from a previous quilt, or if I had plans to start a new quilt.  But they all need to become something, and my thoughts right now are going toward doll quilts for donation.  

And yes - this whole process of cleaning out that tote is distracting me from finishing some more current projects. But it needs to be done.


Time to remove the winter decor around here, to encourage Spring to arrive. 


I have 2 favorite Easter table runners that I'll put out later in the month. But in the meantime the wooden bunny family is guarding the dining room table. 

3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

You’ve taken the first step toward emptying the bin. I think doll quilts is the perfect solution for the orphan blocks.

Kate said...

The dress is a fun find. Hopefully one of the grand girls will get some use out of it. You'll feel so accomplished when you finish emptying the tote.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hearts and Stars is a great pattern! Your arrangement on the old sewing machine is perfect!