Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

When ideas collide

 Yesterday was a crazy day in my sewing room and in my brain.  I finished the applique on the Easter door hanger in the morning, and then checked my UFO list to see what I wanted to work on next.  From that point on it seemed like everything I touched connected in some way to some other project.  I'm kind of amazed. 


First of all, the border fabric I ordered last week to use with the Elephant quilt was delivered on Monday afternoon.  It's a Laurel Burch print called Earth Song.  Can you see those purple elephants?  I've always loved Laurel Burch designs, and when I searched online for something with elephants this popped up right away.  It's perfect I think.  All those rich colors with a touch of black - it plays very well with that black multi-color sashing, and the various bright colored elephant blocks.  

I've cut the 6" borders, and hope to get them sewn onto the quilt top today.  


That brings me to the first "connection" as I pulled another bag out of the Big Grey Tote.  This is a Laurel Burch panel.  It's gorgeous, and I even had 2 chunks of yardage tucked in with it.  There was an deep aqua marbled fabric and a purple grunge.  It was a buried treasure and something I want to keep and make fairly soon.  The panel is a horizontal one - which brings me to the next "connection".


With the Villa Rosa Blog Hop going on this week, the other day I pulled out the Villa Rosa patterns I've purchased just to see which ones I already have.  And this one was laying on top of the little stack.  Bingo!!  It uses a horizonal panel.  So I've put the pattern, the panel and the 2 fabrics into a project box ready to go.  I think it needs some gold and a dark red to go with the purple in the star points, and there is enough of the aqua for the background behind those points.

And there's one more "connection".  See that purple grunge?  There are 2 yards of it, which is way more than I'll need for the star points in that pattern, and . . .


That purple grunge is absolutely perfect for binding to go with that Laurel Burch print I'm using for the elephant quilt border.  Those binding strips are now cut and laying with the quilt and border fabrics.  What good fortune!!

A full circle.

5 comments:

Kate said...

The print is absolutely perfect and that purple will work for both projects. You definitely had a productive day.

Nann said...

Your busy brain has come up with some great quilting combinations! The bright colors are great.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun cheerful fabric!

cityquilter grace said...

yes indeed...the laurel burch fabric is ideal and sooo colorful!

Vicki in MN said...

My brain was busy last night and it wasn't about quilting. We had a little neighborhood party and with all the chatter going on my brain couldn't settle down. You have some fun fabrics and patterns to make up, good idea to kit them up.