Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Before and after

 Seems like it was time to change out the quilts hanging up at the bottom of the basement stairs, next to my sewing room doorway.


This autumn quilt has been hanging there since . . . well, since autumn.  I didn't even switch it out to a Christmas quilt this winter.  Oops!!  It is a Thimbleberries quilt that I made about 20 years ago, but still one of my favorites.  The antique trunk is something my dad and I bought at an estate auction in Minnesota over 35 years ago, and the clock is an antique too.  My dad built the wooden base for the clock (from a car) in high school, so late 1930s. It doesn't actually work anymore, but I love looking at it.


So now that wall has a brighter, more spring-like vibe going on.  This is Spooling Around, the Saturday Sampler we finished in December 2023.  I just got the binding finished this week.  This is what we see from the top of the basement steps, looking down from the kitchen.  The doorway into my sewing room is to the left of this.


On the left side wall next to the sewing room door has been a vinyl applique - kind of a sign identifying that space.  Now I've hung up the umbrellas signature quilt made with the hearts all signed by ladies in our Sew Vintage group.  The center is an umbrella applique.  One of the group, Holly, gave our group members each the pieces for an umbrella she cut with her AccuQuilt, and this is what I made with the applique and the signed heart blocks. 


I think of the Sew Vintage group whenever I see it.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I change quilts out on the table frequently but I tend to forget other places

Nann said...

A new blog background! I recognized that as a TB pattern -- Lynette's designs and her fabric lines still have an appeal.

Bonnie said...

I like that you share your sewing related quilts near the door to your studio. I have a basement studio also. Some days it is too cold but it's wonderful in the summer. I may have to make a sewing related quilt to hang on the wall you can see coming down the stairs. Don't hold your breath -- I'm focusing on UFOS and tops that need to be quilted for a while. Have a great week.

Kate said...

You definitely have a more spring vibe going with the new quilts.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a pretty area with the trunk and the special clock, perfect place for your quilts!