Pages

Monday, April 22, 2024

Design Wall Monday - April 22

 Another week! Yikes, this month is just flying by!!

I'm using my "back-up" sewing machine for the near future as my main machine is heading to the repair shop.  It needed a good cleaning and tune up, but when it began to make a weird little noise I knew it was time to stop putting it off.  Sigh - I miss some of the features that aren't on my back-up, but I'm thankful that I actually have a back-up to use.


So, what's on my design wall this week?  I need to finish my bigger strawberry block.  And the scraps and pieces I've collected for additional blocks all need some organization. 


 I've been trying to choose WIPs and UFOs laying around, and getting them at least one step closer to DONE.  One of those UFOs was the God's Eye block that I made months ago - just one block. It is a pretty block and free at this link, but I decided it was a bit "fussy" to make, so I set it aside, along with the fabrics as I originally planned to make a whole quilt.  Then the latest issue of Block magazine (Missouri Star) arrived in the mail last week, and I saw a project where they used bowtie blocks in a border.  For some reason I immediately thought of that God's Eye block.  So now I have a 38" square flimsy, but still without a final plan.  Wall hanging?  Baby quilt?  Lap quilt?  For now it's folded over a hanger in the closet just waiting for more inspiration. 


Once I finished the God's Eye flimsy, I pulled out the next UFO on my list - which only needs a final outer border.  This is the batik version of last year's Sewcialites 2 sew-along.  The border fabric was on the hanger with the quilt top, so I cut 6.5" strips on Sunday and sewed them into longer sections so they are ready to attach to the top, possibly today.  


I also chose one more PIG (projects in grocery sacks) to work on for April, and this one has a lot of yellow in it.  The Beehive pattern and pack of 5" x 10" Jolly Bars were in a Sew Sampler box from Fat Quarter Shop.  I had the note pinned to it to remind myself to buy background and something for the outer border.  I found a pale grey that works nicely at The Pin Cushion a couple weeks ago, but will decide on a border later.  This should make a good baby quilt.  My goal this week is to get the 35 blocks made for this one. 

My "design wall" also contains some binding on a couple of small projects, keeping up with the Riley Blake challenge block of the week, and kitting up a couple of new projects using some precuts already in my stash.  More on that another day.  And - I need to get back to  emptying that Big Grey Tote that I've been ignoring for the past week, and eliminate a bit more clutter from my life.     

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday . . .
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Kate said...

The bow tie blocks did make a very nice border for the God's Eye block. Sounds like you've got some fun plans and a bit of this and that on tap for this week. Happy stitching.

Vicki in MN said...

You sure fooled me with that border on your God's Eye quilt, I thought that was fabric printed that way not pieced with bow tie blocks! So clever.

Bonnie said...

Exactly what Vicki said -- oh! those are bow tie blocks! You have made a lot of progress on your projects. Lucky that your batik version of Sewcialites 2 only needs the border. You should be able to get that done quickly. And, then think about quilting. The beehive quilt and fabrics really seem spring like. Enjoy working on your projects.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I need to get my machine serviced also I normally just clean it myself but my back up machine needs servicing too so one of them should be taken care of but the place is 2 hours away I'm not happy with that so keep putting it off