Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2024

RSC24 - Week #17

The Beehive baby quilt is coming together nicely. Yellow is the dominant color,  which is why I pulled out this kit for this month.  It still needs an outer border, possibly green.  One more PIG moved along to the next phase - almost.  The lighting here makes the quilt look so dull, but it was a grey rainy day. In reality it's bright and cheerful with those yellows. 

Lots of scrappy happiness is going on lately. And I've been taking my inspiration from blogland for how to use some of the scrappy blocks I've been collecting.


Loose Goose is becoming a Spinning Loose Goose.  I've been making these 3-D Flying Geese blocks in 2 sizes, finishing at 3 x 6 and 2 x 4.  By stacking them like this with a 2.5" strip down the right side I end up with a 12.5" block.  And putting 4 blocks together, with the direction spinning, I'll end up with a nice big 24" block.  


I'm working on sewing the Boxed Squares into a flimsy.  These were RSC blocks over the past couple of years.  The 6" blocks are basically black and white frames around 2.5" bright centers.  One of the reasons I love doing lots of different blocks for RSC every year is that they add up quickly to be enough for a quilt top.  There were more of these than I had anticipated.  Today we're going to watch a granddaughter at a swim meet, but maybe tomorrow the two-sies will become rows.


Thanks to another blogger I'm playing with an idea to use up the little drawer full of 3.5" Hourglass blocks made from trimmed corners.  This bunch of triangles has colors plus scrappy white, and I think if I turn them into Square-in-a-square blocks using scrappy greys, a fun new quilt will be born.  For now the sample I made plus the picture I "borrowed" from that blog are tucked into the drawer with the Hourglass blocks.  


I did get back to the Big Grey Tote this week, and pulled out a few chunks of fabric that were big enough to cut more Kitty blocks.  These 5 have been added to the growing collection.  


Also in that tote was this completed flimsy - all made with batiks.  It's 34 x 44, so a decent size for a donation lap quilt.   And there was a completely finished Christmas wall hanging that is now in the rummage sale box.  So now I'm mostly down to the loose scraps in the tote, and it will definitely take time to go through those - to cut into useful sizes, put back into the stash, or throw in the trash.  It's a time consuming job. 

Let's see what else is happening in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge world . . .
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a great collection of projects you have going on. It is fun to see drawers and bins of blocks collections beginning to come together as if by magic to make quilts.

Sue said...

I made that Beehive quilt as a lap for my SIL with all those fabrics & it came out so cute! It feels great to get old projects done! I love all your blocks turning into quilts with help from the bloggers.

Kate said...

Oooh, you have way too many good ideas for projects. I'm going to have to forget I saw the Spinning Loose Goose, those are going to be really fun scrappy blocks. Good luck to the granddaughter at the swim meet. Fingers crossed you can get in some good stitching time tomorrow.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see what you've been working on, Sara! I like the Beehive quilt design - those are neat blocks. And the Loose Goose blocks are making a great design! Gray and rainy here in Colorado, too - it will be a good day to sew!

Cathy said...

Such fun to see you working so productively on so many great blocks and projects. Your post really got me fired up today! Love, love, love that Beehive quilt!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rainy here today! Love the brightness of the batik fabric!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Do I ever love your beehive quilt!!! Is that pattern available anywhere?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at you making so much great progress!!! Send me some of your mojo!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! You have been SEW busy, Sara!! That is such a wonderful array of projects on the go. I absolutely LOVE your growing Boxed Square top!!

Astrid said...

Indeed, lots of scrappy happiness going on in your sewing room! All so pretty!