Pages

Monday, April 29, 2024

Design Wall Monday - April 29

 A new week already!  And almost a new month! 

Last week on Tuesday I took my sewing machine in for a spa treatment - AKA deep cleaning and tune up.  The shop told me they were about 2 weeks out and they would call me when it was ready. That was fine because my smaller machine is a good backup.  However, Friday morning they called and said my machine was ready to pick up. Really - only 3 days?  Awesome!  I hit the road to pick it up.

On my way out of town, in the rain, I stopped at my local quilt shop with the Beehive quilt top in my hands to see if they had a good green for a border because I want this baby quilt top finished.  I bought enough of that bottom green fabric.  Then, while in Sioux Falls, I just HAD to stop into at least one quilt shop.  And I saw another green that was a possibility, so I picked up a yard of that one too.  Once I got home I realized that first green fabric will work even better with the wine bottle print (from the Big Grey Tote) to make pillowcases or bags, and that second green will border the baby quilt.  I'm so glad I bought both green fabrics.  The wine bottle print was found in the tote this week as I was digging, and since there was over a yard I had

Saturday morning before leaving for our granddaughter's swim meet, I decided to work on the Big Grey Tote project for awhile.  Every week that tote is getting more empty! Yay! This gallon size bag was in there with everything I must have felt was needed to finish up the project - extra fabrics, extra embellishments, even fusible interfacing.  


Evidently I was feeling the need for bling!!


Does this not SCREAM 1980s?  What was I thinking!!!  The lavender and minty green, along with that tiny flower print - very 80s.  And yes, I was quilting in the 80s.  I've been enjoying this hobby for many decades.  And obviously leaving UFOs for decades.


String piecing - before I even knew what that was!  And those strings are about 1/2 inch wide!  This crazy project is so close to being done, but completely outside of my taste these days, so I'm not sure what to do with it.  Finish or give it away?  Any thoughts out there?

On Sunday I did a LOT of cutting (borders, pillowcases, block parts, etc., and a little bit of sewing.  And I dug deeper into the Big Grey Tote again to deal with more scraps.  There is a now a pile of Christmas scraps from the tote waiting to be organized and put into the drawer with my Christmas stash.  And I sorted out any pink yardage or scraps from the tote to use in May for RSC projects.  

I'm linking up with Design Wall Monday:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Paula said...

Isn't it funny how our tastes change over the years? Since it's so close to a finish, maybe consider making it a lap quilt for a nursing home or a baby quilt. It's too cute not to finish! I admire all of the finishes you've had from your tote. I need to work on finishes instead of new starts!

Bonnie said...

OMG -- I have (maybe had that same green with the little pink rosebud! In fact, I may still have a stray piece of it. Good for you for working on (finishing?) an old project. I don't think I have any UFOs from the 80s left but I know I have bits and pieces of fabric from them. And, darn it, I still like some of them.

Vicki in MN said...

Definitely 80's look for that one. If you truly don't like it why not take it to guild and see if someone else wants to finish it, just a thought! Your new green fabrics look awesome!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is what I would call a fussy quilt the embellishments too pretty to wash! I am sure someone would love it, little girls like purple.

Kate said...

So glad you found uses for both greens you purchased, saves you a trip later.T That "what was I thinking" feeling is both sad and funny. In the 80's I think we were a lot more limited on what fabrics were available for quilting.