Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The 50th college reunion

We had a really good time on Friday and Saturday at our college reunion at South Dakota State University.  We're officially members of the 50 Year Club!!  We got to see some people we haven't seen in decades, and some friends we see much more often.  

Dave had only 21 students in his high school graduating class, and 7 of them went to SDSU.  At the reunion this year - 3 of them were able to be there.  One more - Dave's college roommate and best man at our wedding - had planned to come but something came up at the last minute.  Dave (left) and Gordon (right) grew up a mile apart on farms. Gayla (center) and I met as freshmen because she lived about 6 doors down the hall from me in the dorm.  I didn't meet my husband until the beginning of our sophomore year. 

Dan (left) and his wife were other friends from college, but we do usually see them about once a year. His wife had other commitments for the weekend but Dan actually stayed with their youngest son, a student on campus. 

We posed with the Dirty Lil and Weary Wil statues near the student union on campus.  It's a long story, but the homecoming celebration at SDSU is Hobo Day.  Weary Wil had been a character included in the celebration for decades, and Lil was officially added the fall of 1976, right after we graduated. 


Here we are on May 1, 1976, right before our graduation ceremony.  I think our tassel color was different because I got a BA and Dave got a BS, although both from the College of Arts and Science.  The guy standing on the other side of Dave was one of his roommates, who got an Associates degree so his cap and gown were blue instead of black. 

I'm headed out early this morning to volunteer at the golf course, checking in golfers for a tournament - unless it rains again, which is a possibility.  Then I have a haircut appointment this afternoon.  There might be a little sewing time in between things.  

No comments: