Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Taming the beast

Sometimes the mess in my sewing room just gets to be too much and I can't stand it any longer.  Guess I've reached that stage again with the scrap bins.  My scraps have begun to over flow the 2 canvas cubes and into one shopping bag.  These cubes are 12" square and hold a lot of scraps.


So I spent part of my morning and turned the shopping bag full of scraps into these . . . strips for my string blocks, 5" charms, 3.5" and 2.5" squares, and finally some 1.5" postage stamps.  Next step after lunch was to empty the canvas cubes and sort things into strips and chunks.  The large chunks went back into my stash. The small ones all went back into the cube to cut into squares - some other day.  And all of the strips went into the other cube to use for string blocks.  Much better organized so that when I work on string blocks those strips are all in one place and ready to use.


Once I had that taken care of I made 5 more string blocks with red centers.  I believe that makes 36 of them, so only 12 more to go.  And I cut and pinned together a new pillowcase from that stash fabric.  I'm determined to tame that out of control sewing room.


5 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm trying to tame the scraps in my sewing room, too. I scrap fabric in almost the same sizes that you cut. It makes it easier to grab and sew.

Heidi [Banks of Frog Creek] said...

Sounds like a productive day!

Podunk Pretties said...

I'm so envious of your taming. I too went through some scraps today. Not nearly as productive or organized as yours.

scraphappy said...

It is amazing how fast scraps get out of control. Looks like you have tamed them for today though. Looking good!

Ramona said...

My scrap basket is overflowing, too! I just keep adding to it, but do need to clean that up. It's just so much more fun to sew! Thanks for the inspiration! :)