Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The gift of giving

Isn't it fun to participate in a Secret Santa exchange?  I really miss the fun ones we had every year at the school I taught in. Beginning on December 1, every day or so we would leave little goodies in our partner's school mail box or in their classroom or hanging on their door. It might be as simple as quarters for the pop machine, an ornament, or a couple of cookies. Right before Christmas we would have a little celebration after school with yummy snacks and bring a "real" gift for the partner. We had a price limit so no one got too carried away. It was lovely and I think of it fondly every time I hang a particular hand made ornament on my tree that I received from a Secret Santa about 20 years ago.  
 
 
Which brings me to THIS YEAR . . . I belong to a closed Facebook group focused on quilting and other needlework.  Our group facilitator suggested a Secret Santa exchange again this year and I jumped right in. We could do pincushions or needle books. My partner outdid herself with my gift. She made this cute needle book that has elastic bands to hold thread spools, a zipper pocket, a striped parking place for pins, and an elastic closure. She included a spool of grey thread and a pack of needles - PLUS 2 fat quarters and a Moda candy pack (2.5" squares). Wowza!!!  Thank you to Moneik!

 
I sent my partner a pincushion that I made with an origami fabric flower and filled with crushed walnut shells which supposedly keep your pins sharp. Also included was a small quilted Christmas stocking I made and an ornament.  I sincerely feel a little stingy now, because I didn't think to included more goodies when I mailed it.
 
 
The Sew Vintage group that I belong to had a Christmas party last Saturday afternoon. We all brought something tasty to share and our facilitator made soup. It is such a fun, laid-back group and we enjoyed the little celebration together sharing stories of "vintage" Christmas from our childhoods.  We also each brought a small gift, and a game was played to see which package we received. Mine had this very pretty 5-minute table runner.  I love that particular ornament fabric.  As soon as I got home I switched this one for the Thanksgiving themed one on my kitchen baker's rack. My grandmother's recipe box and my favorite vintage pitcher sit there too.  Thank you Carol - it looks perfect there.
 

4 comments:

Ramona said...

The secret Santa gifts you sent and received are both lovely. Great idea to add thread to the needle cases with hair bands. Gift exchanges are fun!

Tired Teacher said...

Secret Santa is always fun, especially if you know the person well enough to personalize the "secrets." I loved participating when I was teaching: lots of fun and laughs.

Joyful said...

Beautiful gifts. I miss Secret Santa too.

Moneik said...

Merry Christmas Sara! I hope when you unwrap the thread it's blue and yellow variegated, otherwise my spools were switched in my purse. I really enjoyed making the needlebook and plan to make one for myself as well.