Pages

Friday, January 26, 2018

A remix

 
I've had LOTS of time to think about quilt projects over the last week while laying around and coughing in between naps.  I've even dreamed about this stubborn UFO this week. There was plenty of time to think about ways to be more inspired to finish En Provence, the Bonnie Hunter mystery from last year.  But I just can't get excited about it after putting the first couple of blocks together with the pieced sashing.  I tried changing up the layout a little, and I even tried replacing that awful yellow with something else.  Nope - just can't make myself like this. Sorry Bonnie.
 
But I really, really like most of the units that we made for this quilt, so what could I do with them?  My first inclination was to bag it all up and give it away to someone who might finish it. And that was my plan when I ventured downstairs to my sewing room this morning.  Notice the gallon size bags on my cutting table?

 
The more I looked at those units, the more I thought about what else could I make with them, so I began to play.  I've come up with 2 blocks using the pinks and the purples. And I have lots of the spring green left, so maybe I can cut sashing strips from that.

 
We'll see where this really ends up as I continue to make blocks.  I have enough of the pink sections to make at least 17 blocks, 5 of which are done.  I haven't counted out the purple pieces yet, but probably have a similar amount. So these could become a whole new quilt, or maybe 2 kid sized quilts.  We'll see.  But I feel much better about where these are going now.  So one UFO is going to be remixed, and become 1 or 2 new projects.  Still will count as finishing a UFO though, right? 

 
Plus it appears that I'll still have dozens of the neutral 4-patch units left, so those may become seed for a third quilt. And of course those dreaded green/purple and green/yellow hourglass units that I don't like are left too.  Maybe those can go together with the neutrals. And the bags are still in my sewing room, so maybe the leftovers WILL go into a bag and be given away. We'll see what happens.

5 comments:

Ramona said...

Where there's a will, there's a way! I really like your pink and purple blocks with the green sashing. You will come up with something cool for the other units!

Linda in Calif. said...

I think the original blocks are very lively and pretty. Maybe too bright and busy for you. I do like what you have done with the blocks - much tamer and calmer. The green looks great with them. Okay - so go have fun with them. :-)

Tired Teacher said...

I like this remix of the components. Save the hourglass blocks for a baby quilt and restash the yellow.

It's always a gamble to make a mystery quilt. I think you've found the right compromise.

Melody A. said...

love your new idea and the blocks!! It will be really pretty when it is done. Take care and get well from Iowa

Nann said...

Your solution is a great way to rescue all those units. (I loved the EP colors last year. I made On Ringo Lake in Bonnie's colors. It turned out nicely but I really, really like many of the colorways that other people have used for their versions. And if I'd switched out the turquoise for green it would've been ideal for my bed....Too late now!)