Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Distracted by genealogy

 
I actually had lots of time last week to sew, but I've been distracted by family history.  For decades in the pre-Internet world, my mother was writing letters and researching family history for both her family and for my dad's side of the family.  And when she passed away 27 years ago I inherited boxes and tubs of genealogy materials.  I've been enjoying Ancestry.com for several years now, where I have connected with a number of relatives on both sides of my family and with my husband's family too.
 
One of the really exciting things is how easy it is to share photos even with folks I've never met in person.  I've always had a formal portrait of my paternal grandparents that I understood to be from their wedding day.  But I was really thrilled when a distant cousin posted this 100 year old photo in her Ancestry gallery.  Philip and Marceline married in 1918 in Kansas.  I love her simple dress, with the flowers in her hair. Look at those shoes!!  Since she was only 4' 9" tall, I'm sure those were tiny shoes.  And my grandfather was so handsome!
 
The formal portrait that I have probably was taken the same day, but they are seated and she isn't wearing the veil or flowers.  Now I have a print of this one to frame and add to my family photos.

3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

What a blessing to have not one but two photos of your grandparents on their wedding day! I'm sure she used a button hook to fasten her shoes. I think I have my Mom's button hook somewhere.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Genealogy! Exciting, time-consuming, papers, research. . .

cityquilter grace said...

what a find....so true that the internet makes research totally addicting...and wonderfully fun!