Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

Design Wall Monday - Jelly Roll Christmas

 
I've been working on this Christmas quilt for several months.  It just kept evolving, which is what happens when you really don't have a good plan.  But the top is done as of this morning, and it's ready to quilt.  It turned out even better than I had hoped.
 
Check out some other Monday Design Walls at: http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
 
One jelly roll purchased on our guild bus trip to Missouri Star Quilting Company - that was the starting point.  I found this block online and it worked perfectly with a jelly roll.  A white on white background fabric was added.  Then I realized there were a lot of really light strips, so I bought the solid red and solid green to use with those.  It was still too small to be a good sofa throw, so I got online and ordered another jelly roll and a layer cake.  More blocks were made, but it still seemed just a little unfinished.  It needed borders!!
 
Part of the layer cake became the outer 5" border.  The solid red worked fine for the narrow inner border.  And I had enough of the solid green to use for binding so that is made and ready once I get around to having this quilted.
 
I now have about 6 quilt tops hanging in the sewing room closet waiting to be quilted.  I think it's time to take a couple more to my favorite quilter.    

10 comments:

Ariane said...

It's beautiful!!

Ramona said...

Sara, this is gorgeous! I wasn't too sure about it as you were making it, but it really turned out beautifully.

Tired Teacher said...

The solid red & green were excellent choices to add spark to the other blocks/fabrics. This is a wonderful holiday quilt. Well done!

Nann said...

What a great design! And congratulations on being early for Christmas.

Churn Dash said...

It is beautiful. I love the design and colours.

Helen

AnnieO said...

Great block pattern, love the secondary designs that jump out the more one looks!

Anya said...

I love this! What is the name of the block?

Vicki in MN said...

I think your quilt is really pretty? Can you share the location of this block? I like that you added the solid red and green.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Oooohhh, I love Christmas quilts!!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I too would love to know where we can find this block! Thanks!