Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

RSC19 - Sammy's Secret Garden



Sammy's Secret Garden - my main Rainbow Scrap Challenge project for 2019 - is FINISHED!!! And yes, nearly every piece in this quilt was from my scrap bins or stash.


This is Sammy. He is my 18 year old Tuxedo cat who became the inspiration for this quilt.  I fell in love with the Lori Holt cat block and after making some colorful ones, decided I needed to make a black and white one to reign over all the rest.  He's getting pretty frail in his old age, but is still hanging in there.  He no longer comes down to supervise my sewing room however because the steps are too difficult for him.  But he spent a lot of time laying by these blocks as I layed them out on the floor to arrange and rearrange. 


Can you see the dragon flies in the quilting? I love this! The thread is multi-colored and it just fits that garden theme so well.  It's a happy quilt. 


These blocks are all Lori Holt blocks, mostly from Farm Girl Vintage 2.  Several different flowers, the little bird, and the beehive - all Lori Holt FGV2 blocks. But I did use the bee and one of the flowers from her other books.  


And a happy quilt needs a happy backing, right?  This polka dot is perfect.  I'm still debating on what I want to do for a label for this one so that is the one thing remaining to do.  

This is my final finish for 2019.  The Ohio Star and Rainbow String blocks that I began this year will continue into the RSC-2020 challenge so there will be enough for a whole quilt of each.  Can't wait - bring on RSC-2020.  Check out http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/  for more information on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. She has links to previous year projects as well. Sometimes I make her blocks, and other times I've just done my own thing but using her color challenge. That's the whole idea - using up the scraps. 

16 comments:

Juliana said...

I love your cat quilt with its flowers and birds, etc.

Ramona said...

It's gorgeous! The quilting finishes off your beautiful quilt in style. Congrats! on the finish.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is beautiful! And I just love the quilting patterns flowers and dragonflies! Perfect!

Tired Teacher said...

Oh yes, it's a happy quilt!

Jenny said...

I'll endorse all the other comments, this is indeed a beautiful, happy looking quilt!

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun finish! It is a bright and happy quilt.

Cathy said...

What a sweet quilt. I hope you and Sammy enjoy it for many years to come!

Sue SA said...

This is a beautiful and fun quilt, I love the cats and the other garden themed blocks, but the special quilting is fantastic!

karenbbsnow said...

Adorable!

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this sweetheart of a finish. Love it BIG time! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so much fun - the blocks are sweet and the quilting is perfect for it! Congratulations on your finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sammy's Secret Garden is SEW adorable!! You have such a nice balance of cat, flowers, and other stuff. Congrats on your RSC finish!

Jo said...

What a beautiful year end finish!

Susie H said...

Oh my! Sammy's Quilt is so beautiful and cute all at once. LOVE IT!!!

DeeDee said...

It's the cutest quilt I have seen in a long time. The colors are so bright and fun

Suellen said...

I love the quilt, wondering if there is a pattern?